PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 head gaskets on 6.2 engine

82blazer
01-05-2008, 13:18
I have read the article on this subject in the [B]6.2l Diesel Engine Volume 2[B] I have heard of a fix for the early 6.2 head that involved repairing a coolant passage. There was supposed to be a "Field Kit" to take care of this problem. Does anyone know anything about this and is it even concerning the same port. I am planning on new gaskets and studs but don't want to replace the heads. If such a kit does not exist can the port still be filled in and how if so?

john8662
01-05-2008, 15:16
This field service kit, which includes some sealant and a specially formed plug is no-longer available from GM.

It's not the end of the world though...

Just use the 6.2L head gaskets currently available from Fel-Pro, there won't be a problem. More than just the 82's had this extra coolant port.

But, as you've guessed now, you cannot use 6.5LTD gaskets, which for non-turbo service (and even turbo service with a Banks) won't be required anyways.

J

82blazer
01-05-2008, 18:04
In the future I am thinking about turbo and maybe light propane. I want more power but mpg and reliability are 1 and 2 on the list. I'm assuming the Labrat has 85 heads, but I don't know about Blazin. I don't think the engine is the year specified when we bought it. Though it does seem to be a good motor. I threw away 2 head gaskets and bolt sets because of bad advice (not from this forum) and so now I tend to do more research. Thanks for the response but is it possible to plug this port? :confused:

More Power
07-20-2008, 12:01
In the future I am thinking about turbo and maybe light propane. I want more power but mpg and reliability are 1 and 2 on the list. I'm assuming the Labrat has 85 heads, but I don't know about Blazin. I don't think the engine is the year specified when we bought it. Though it does seem to be a good motor. I threw away 2 head gaskets and bolt sets because of bad advice (not from this forum) and so now I tend to do more research. Thanks for the response but is it possible to plug this port? :confused:

The plug kit that GM once offered is no longer available - as John mentioned. But, you could fashion a cooling passage plug out of brass sheet if you'd like to experiment and have a little tin-smith ability.

I recommend the 6.5 head gaskets if you can use them (most 6.2L engines can). They contain additional metal reinforcement in the areas that are the most likely to fail. Personally, if I were rebuilding an early 6.2 with heads that contained those cooling passages, I'd find a way to seal the passages so I could use the Fel-Pro 6.5 head gaskets, because they are better - in my opinion. :)

Jim

76m880
07-20-2008, 13:24
The plug kit that GM once offered is no longer available - as John mentioned. But, you could fashion a cooling passage plug out of brass sheet if you'd like to experiment and have a little tin-smith ability.

I recommend the 6.5 head gaskets if you can use them (most 6.2L engines can). They contain additional metal reinforcement in the areas that are the most likely to fail. Personally, if I were rebuilding an early 6.2 with heads that contained those cooling passages, I'd find a way to seal the passages so I could use the Fel-Pro 6.5 head gaskets, because they are better - in my opinion. :)

Jim

any specific year of 6.5 gasket?

More Power
07-20-2008, 15:41
No. Just specify Fel-Pro part number 9701 PT.

Jim