PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 swap

lak2004
01-07-2008, 19:49
Ive got an 85 K5 that I am wanting to put a diesel in, was looking to do a DMax but that wont be for a while. Right now Ive got a 350/700R4/208. So I am now looking at doing the 6.2 swap. If I pick up one that is 24V what parts will I need to change to 12V? Any advantages of keeping it 24v? Will I need a wiring harness as well?

What kind of fuel pump will I be using and can I keep my current fuel tank or will I have to clean it out really well or get a new one? Thanks in advance!

Craig M
01-08-2008, 08:39
Current fuel tank will be fine. You will need a return line from the engine for unused diesel fuel to go back to the fuel tank. Just get most of the gas out of the fuel tank, then fill with diesel. A small amount of gas mixed with a full tank will not be an issue.

uglyjeep
01-29-2008, 18:50
Don't really have anything to say from experience, as I have not gotten all to far on my swap, but I found this bit that may help with converting to 12v. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=3&pid=16
I am looking to swap a CUCV diesel into my '75 jeep cherokee, and I am pretty sure that I'm going to be able to easily convert the engine to twelve volts (and end up with an extra alternator to modify into a welder).

rdurh
01-30-2008, 09:29
I just finished this conversion in a 1979 full size Jimmy using the drive train from a 1984 CUCV Blazer. You will need to either convert the glow plug relay as per Steel Soldiers website. You can also get the wiring loom out of a 12v diesel and use it to modify your current wiring loom. This is what I did, and it was a bit of a pain but using the wiring diagram for the Jimmy and my donor truck (1984 Suburban) I was able to get it to work.

As noted you will need to get rid of all or as much of the gasoline as you can from the fuel tank and fuel lines.

Since you have a 700R4 you will need to get a diesel torque converter and swap in a diesel governor for the transmission. The diesel torque converter is just a lower stall converter than the gasoline version. The governor will change your shift points to better match the diesel engine.

You will also need to swap in a 12v fuel cut off switch for the 24v switch that is in your injection pump.

Other than a few other minor issues it is pretty much a drop in swap.