PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Baldwin Filter issue

chrisinkanata
01-09-2008, 17:14
Back in October, I changed the BF7635 on my Mega Filter as well as the stock filter. Mid November I start to get the stalling after startup issue. Live with it for a bit - bleeding once a week or so. Eventually, over Christmas it gets to the point where I'm bleeding it every second day. So, I change the stock filter again, check all the hoses for potential vacuum leaks. Change a couple stock spring clamps for screw clamps (maybe they're weak). No change. Order and tonight install another BF7635. When I took the older one off and look at the sealing surface, it has this white gooey stuff all over it. Specifically on the sealing surface. On the mating area of the filter mount, is a white powdery substance. Gently using a straight blade and some brake cleaner, I get the stuff off the mount. When I lube the new filter O-ring seal with clean diesel, the same white gooey stuff appears. I cleaned it off and lubed it again but is was ok now. I guess I'm wondering if there's some sort of protectant on the seal that would cause this. I've replaced the filter numerous time, but never with this happening. Time will tell if that's the cause of the vacuum leak but it certainly could not have been helping.

Chris

Kennedy
01-09-2008, 19:11
Sounds like you are collecting air. A lift pump setup will take care of this or use the bleed orifice mod to the nipple to allow the air to pass. Pressurizing the system is the best solution.

As for the discoloration I have no idea. I've never seen this before.