PDA

View Full Version : Need some quick advice Please

evo rider
01-10-2008, 00:00
Been getting a lot of great info on here lately. Im going to be bringing my freshly purchased 88 k5 6.2l home from a relatives tomorrow morning but the wipers dont work and it'll be raining heavily. The switch inside the turn signal lever is broken so I was wondering if theres an easy way to temporarily bypass it with a jumper wire to the motor from the fuse box and maybe an inline rocker switch just for the short trip home. Any suggestions will help. Thanks

DmaxMaverick
01-10-2008, 00:13
Welcome to the Forums!

You could run a jumper to the motor, or install a switch across the harness wires. The harness has a PC card type connector at the column, just above the firewall, and not too hard to get too.

Or, you can pick up a new signal stalk and install it in less than 30 minutes. Autozone, etc., has them, and not too much $. If time is an issue, you can install it and let the harness run outside the column (been there, done that). You won't have to remove the old harness (cut the wires) or trim panels, and fish the harness through. 10 minutes tops that way. Won't be pretty, but will work. You can tidy it up later.

Really? Rain in WA? Who'da thunk it....?

evo rider
01-10-2008, 00:28
Thanks. This site has just been invaluable since Ive purchased and have been tinkering with this truck. Its a huge relief now knowing that its possible to jump the motor easily. Since Ive got a couple days off I'll do it right once its at my place. I just love having to plan around the weather here in the pacific northWET.

trbankii
01-10-2008, 14:34
Are you sure it is the switch? There are quite a few posts on here about the controller going bad - which mine is doing at the moment and I have to get around to replacing it... Try smacking the controller under the hood to see if it suddenly works again.

DmaxMaverick
01-10-2008, 14:54
The wiper control module did occur to me. He said the switch was "broken", indicating a physical problem with the switch. The module on the -88 SUV's is located behind the trim panel on the column underside.

evo rider
01-10-2008, 18:56
Yeah the switch is broken for sure. The lever just spins freely without clicking on the different wiper settings. Well I got it home and tore down into the column. Whats the easiest way to get the switch out?. Im assuming the whole cover has to come off right?.