PDA

View Full Version : New Member: Diesel Project

BDS58
01-12-2008, 11:48
I have just finished the restoration of my 1972 Chevy Cheyenne C20 (picture below). It currently has a 402ci gasoline engine that I would like to replace with a Duramax diesel/Allison 1000 engine & drivetrain. Half of the people I mention this to think I am nuts and the other half think it's a great idea. I know that it will be an expensive project but what I don't know is if it is even possible (i.e. will it fit under the hood and how much of an electrical nightmare will I face?). I would appreciate all opinions and or references from you Diesel fans as to whether or not this is a project worth pursuing. Thanks.

DmaxMaverick
01-12-2008, 12:27
Welcome aboard!

That's a fine looking rig you got there. Duramax/Allison? It can be done. There'll be plenty of room under the hood, but you may have clearance issues with the cross member(s). Not a real problem, as you can modify/fab it to work. While you are at it, consider throwing a front axle in it (4x4). The engine/tranny combos are pretty close in price, w/ or w/o transfer case. The electronics shouldn't worse than 80-early 90's. You'll need to install a complete harness, anyway. A bonus might be you don't have a late model harness to get in the way. The '72 is pretty basic, and will be easy to eliminate to make room for the later harness. You're on your own for instrumentation, but you can either adapt a late model IP, or fab your own with an array of aftermarket instruments/gages (that would be cool). The cooling system up front (radiator, IC, A/C condenser) may present some issues, but nothing that can't be worked around. It could get pricey, but I don't think it will be any more than shoehorning one into a later truck. You may do well buying a complete wrecked D/A truck. A lot less nickel and dime that way, and sometimes less expensive than the powertrain and electronics individually.

Good luck with the project, and keep us posted!