PDA

View Full Version : 97 stalling, wouldnt start until cooled off

97-6.5TD-F
01-12-2008, 23:24
well, after almost a full year trouble free, the 97 has started acting up. Stalled on me once cruising down the road, fired right back up. Stalled again while high idling for a few minutes, then today it stalled after idling for 5 minutes, but it didnt restart today!! Left it for 5 hours ( it was -15c here today, or 5 deg F). It then started after a long crank.

Sooo, I was wondering if this could be the fuel shut off solenoid, as I have had problems with them before, or the FSD? I hope not the latter as the GM one I priced was 700 some bucks!? Any cheaper sources through the net?

Hubert
01-13-2008, 08:30
Sounds like PMD/FSD. Is that a local gm dealer price? Might try gmpartsdirect or other dealer. Some do full suggested retail price others do different mark up. Also try a few Stanadyne shops or dieselpage vendors. You can search and read about the newest DTech or Diapco name brand FSD. I wouldn't just buy the first $700 price.

As always check grounds, batteries, connections, and fuel filter supply first.

KallyI
01-13-2008, 12:18
I've bought 2 or 3 used ones off ebay, and had very good luck with them. The last one I bought was in 2003, and it's still working today. I have the other 2 as spares, JIC (just in case). And I still have the FSD on a cooler on the valve cover of the engine.:D

Jochen Woern
01-13-2008, 22:07
Yep, I am thinking FSD/PMD as well. Had the same symptoms and once the FSD/PMD was changed, the troubles are gone. I also relocated the FSD/PMD with the Kennedy FSD Cooler package. The complete Kit including a new Stanadyne FSD/PMD cost me close to 600 bucks, including shipping.

Therefore 700 dollars sounds rather high.

Check at www.kennedydiesel.com and see for yourself.

Good luck.

97-6.5TD-F
01-13-2008, 23:27
Excellent info, thanks for the replies. I am going to plug in the old snap on scanner and see if I can pinpoint exactly what is going on with this thing. I am suspecting the FSD also. i have had problems with the fuel cut solenoid before though. Any input on those things?

97-6.5TD-F
01-24-2008, 15:38
Well I have ordered the DSG cooler and stanadyne PMD. I was going to get the Heath one but I need it right away and DSG claims one day to get it here.

One thing I will mention is this. I noticed when it stalls (which is happening more frequently), the service throttle light is off,(KOEO). As soon as it comes back on, its starts again. Takes around 4-8 minutes now of sitting before it starts again. Then when it does start, it sounds like the timing is advanced for half a second. I hope I am on the right track changing the PMD here, lol. Pricey part :o!