PDA

View Full Version : Injector cost for LB7?

almondfarmer
01-13-2008, 10:54
I have an '02 Crew 4X4 with 80K miles. Not too many problems (new glow plugs), but I'm concerned about the 7/200k injector warranty running out (in 12 months). I would like to keep the truck but don't want to eat a big cost of replacing injectors after '08 if they last until '09. I'll off-load and upgrade if the cost is going to be too much. Anyone have any ideas as to what the overall cost of replacing all 8 injectors might be after warranty?

tbrowne
01-13-2008, 21:08
About the same price as they are now. The only difference will be that you will be footing the bill and not GM.

linchhummmer
01-14-2008, 14:43
if you buy injectors from gm they are about 400 each but if you buy DDP http://www.dynomitediesel.com/ they are about 250 each

almondfarmer
01-14-2008, 15:56
Thanks, but...gulp....$250 each x 8 = $2000 just for the parts!!!!...not counting instillation...Any guess on the labor for that??? I understand it is a big deal on the older model to get at the injectors...It is sounding like the best idea is to get rid of the thing when the injector warranty runs out... Yes?

DmaxMaverick
01-14-2008, 17:14
The job isn't too bad to do. If you can wrench, you should be able to do it. The injectors are under the valve covers, so everything from the hood to the covers comes off. Not too bad a job, but takes a lot of time (count on a long weekend, if everything goes right). The dealer will be $4000+ before you get out the door. I wouldn't trust the job to a local shop unless they've already done a few. Too much down time to have to do it twice, or more.

linchhummmer
01-14-2008, 19:05
i would never get rid of an lb7 just because of some bad injectors they dont build simple power like that anymore, i would take any lb7 with bad injectors in a second

almondfarmer
01-15-2008, 17:46
Check around and, yep, it might be as much as $4000 to replace them all. Very soon there will be many Dmaxs that are finishing on their 7 year replacement warranties. I won't come close to the 200K threshold and I'm sure most won't either (yes, there are a percentage that will and have already). When the masses hit the end, is it going to be a big deal or not? That is, what is the likelihood or predictability of the one or more injectors going out? There is a thread regarding MPG. Can we start one (survey) on the number of units and at what mileage totals injectors needed replacing?

The bottom line for me is: What is probablitiy of me have to fork over major buck and when? I love my truck, but might I be better off taking the potential repair money and putting toward a new rig???

Duramaster
01-15-2008, 20:42
There aren't to many problems with the new DMAX trucks. They're just harder to work on. If you do buy new, do yourself a favor and buy the extended warranty!

Runaway_Dmax
01-16-2008, 17:23
Check around and, yep, it might be as much as $4000 to replace them all. Very soon there will be many Dmaxs that are finishing on their 7 year replacement warranties. I won't come close to the 200K threshold and I'm sure most won't either (yes, there are a percentage that will and have already). When the masses hit the end, is it going to be a big deal or not? That is, what is the likelihood or predictability of the one or more injectors going out? There is a thread regarding MPG. Can we start one (survey) on the number of units and at what mileage totals injectors needed replacing?

The bottom line for me is: What is probablitiy of me have to fork over major buck and when? I love my truck, but might I be better off taking the potential repair money and putting toward a new rig???

That is what the deciding factor was for me. After having two repair bills for injectors that weren't covered by the "special policy", I decided my money was better spent toward a newer rig.

Dakster
01-17-2008, 06:56
Duramaster,

Good advice if you plan on keeping the truck for any length of time after the warranty period. I would shop around, some dealers will cut you a break on the extended warranty... Some aftermarket warranties are good too. I used to buy one when I bought a new vehicle for at least 5 years or the life of the loan. However, I seem to trade out every 2-4 years so I don't bother anymore - its such a hassle to cancel.

4k to do injectors when you know that is the weak link of the truck you have seems like a decision making time is around the corner. 4k is a down payment on a new/er in-warranty truck. But you know what they say "It's cheaper to keep her". You'll pay every month on a new one, regardless...

Jeff_R.
01-29-2008, 12:18
I've used "Total Power" with every fill-up since all 8 injectors were replaced a couple years ago. I also replace the fuel filter every 8-10k and I try to be careful where I fill up. Now 2 injectors are bad again. Do you think a secondary fuel filter would extend the injector life or maybe that's just a waste of money - like the Total Power seems to have been -ie., it's a bad design no matter what you try to do.

Showgood1
01-31-2008, 20:43
What about rebuilding injectors? I have asked this question before and I thought someone said that they can be rebuilt. If so why is there so much talk about buying new ones? How much would it cost to have them rebuilt? Diesels have always been more expensive to service but this is long past redicules. We're no longer talking about a $800 pump rebuild anymore. I know a guy who sold his d-max and bought a gaser for fear of out of warrenty replacements. I know two more who didn't buy them at all for the same reasons.

Kennedy
02-01-2008, 08:14
I keep injectors on hand here and yes about $2000 for a set is the going rate.

People tend to be a bit quirky in regards to injectors on the Dmax. Many reason that they are going to fail anyhow, and hope that if they do nothing, they'll go under warranty. To me that is just wrong. Quality additives and filtration are never a waste of money, but they are also not a guarantee that your injectors will not go. It just makes sense to protect your fuel system as best you can from KNOWN causes of potential failures. I can about gurantee that if you do nothing you will have problems. It's just a matter of time. Like unprotected casual sex, smoking 2 packs a day, chronic alcoholism. The writing is on the wall.

With the LB7 injectors, it's like the 3 bears. Too soft, too hard, just right. Let's hope that the latest ones are just right as we've already seen too soft and too hard...

DickWells
02-01-2008, 12:16
I had 76,000 miles on my 04 when the injecters were replaced up in Lngview, Wa. Not one word of dissent about warrantee. They scoped the tops of all pistons for flame-cutting, etc. Checked my valve lash, too.
I paid not one red cent! All 8 injecters, plus the up-graded cups.
Down at the bottom of the third page of the work order was a grand total of $2780-something. I asked about the $100 deductable, and they said it didn't apply to the special 220k-7yr policy. Nice.
What I don't understand is why only $2800 on my work order, when everything else I hear says much more.
Now, I'm wondering about an extended warantee for my truck, since I'll no doubt have it beyond the 7 years. Regardless, with my kind of driving, and given the fact that I tend to keep modifying things and adding things, I think I'm willing to take the chance that someday I might have to put another set of injecters in. I'll have to check on the cost of an available extended warrantee.
For anyone living within driving distance of Longview, Wa., it's worth a drive over to Sterling GMC to get work done. Tell them that that old bow-legged fart from Vermont sent you.
Dick Wells:)

carco
02-10-2008, 12:38
The dealer will be $4000+ before you get out the door. I wouldn't trust the job to a local shop unless they've already done a few. Too much down time to have to do it twice, or more.

I would take my truck non warranty problem to an indy shop long before a dealer!! 78 percent of vehicles after warranty go to independant shops for several good reasons. Don't have to beat the clock/book, don't have to upsell parts or labor just fix the job @ hand, usually older more experienced techs that have tired of the dealer flat rate, rat race, service writers in indies that are usually blowing less BS and more knowledgeable. Find a good shop, preferably an ACDelco TSS shop.
In all fairness there are good dealerships, but there are inherent problems in dealers same as problems in independants. my 2 cents.
bob..........................