PDA

View Full Version : Front end noise

almondfarmer
01-13-2008, 11:04
'02 Crew 4X4 with 80K miles-- I have a road noise coming from the front end that is noticable on smooth roads. I sound like I am running on road reflectors, but not quite that loud. I have rotated the tires and checked the alignment. I suspect an issue inside the front hub/axle, etc. What typical problems has anyone had that have produced similar noises?

DmaxMaverick
01-13-2008, 12:27
Sounds like hub bearing(s). Jack up the wheels and check them for movement. It should have no movement in/out at the top or bottom. If your noise/vibration is very pronounced, it should be easy to spot. Replacement is pretty straight forward and not too costly if you don't pay normal dealer prices. If you replace them yourself, be sure to buy/order the axle nut(s) at the same time. According to the manual, they are not reusable (self locking). Torque specs of all the fasteners is critical, too.

wynnd
01-14-2008, 13:48
Just got the diagnosis for a new hub assy on my '04 with 97K miles....exact same symptoms.

linchhummmer
01-14-2008, 14:31
there is also a buliten for an intermediate steering colum that rattles

almondfarmer
01-15-2008, 17:52
Yep, that's the problem, "Left front bearing, $350 plus labor". My very trustworth and knowledgeable mechanic says that he has done a number of these (not all Dmax, nor 2500HD's) and they have all been left fronts. The noise was very subtle. You could only hear it under certain conditions, i.e. smooth road, right banking turns, more than 30 mph.

Thanks for the info DmaxMaverick, et. al.

DmaxMaverick
01-15-2008, 18:10
$350 for the hub is full dealer list. Way too much. You can get 2 for that price at www.gmpartsdirect.com if you can't get the dealer to play nice. The replacement job isn't too bad. If you are really a farmer, you should be able to knock it out easily yourself in less than 2 hours the first time. The only difficult part of the job is the tightness of the brake caliper bracket bolts:mad:. You'll need a 36mm socket for the axle nut and some blue Lock-Tite for the bracket bolts. The rest is no more difficult than a routine brake job.

copperhead
01-25-2008, 12:05
Not too hard. I did mine (2003 2500HD). Left front for me as well. Some very stiff fasteners involved. What I mad about right now is all the grease boots blowing out on most of my suspension.