PDA

View Full Version : Oil And Coolant Mix

KBBEAS
01-13-2008, 18:08
I HAVE A 02 GMC DURAMAX WITH 87000 SHOWING. MY PROBLEM IS IN 7000 MILES ITS USED 2 QUARTS OF OIL WITH NO SMOKE AND NO LEAKS. IT LOOKS LIKE ITS IN THE COOLANT OVERFLOW. I STUCK A SREWDRIVER IN THE TANK AND PULLED OUT DARK RED COOLANT WITH A BEADED UP LIQUID ON THE SCREWDRIVER. I TRIED TO SMELL AND WIPE IT CLEAN WITH A WHITE CLOTH TO SEE OIL COLOR, AND CANT TELL. MY OIL IS NOT EVEN BLACK YET. IVE HAD A PROBLEM IN THE PAST ON A GAS ENGINE AND IT WAS THE TRANSMISSION COOLER LEAKING INTO THE RADIATOR. SHOULD I REPLACE MY OIL COOLER? AND IF SO IS THERE ONE IN THE THE RADIATOR OR JUST THE ENGINE BLOCK??? PLEASE HELP :confused:

More Power
01-14-2008, 10:42
I would want to be certain that oil is migrating into the cooling system before spending any money on repairs. However, it does sound like your engine has that problem. The engine oil cooler above the oil filter is the only one in the system. The Allison uses an ATF cooler in the radiator and an air/ATF cooler ahead of the cooling package behind the grille. I'd suspect a seal leak in the engine oil cooler before suspecting a failed cooler itself. You can pressure test the coils once it's off the engine.

Jim

KBBEAS
01-14-2008, 18:47
Thanks. Ill Try Taking The Cooler Out And Having It Pressure Tested. Im Just Hoping Its Not A Expensive Head Gasket. It Looks Like It Has A Bolt In The Pass. Side Exhaust Manifold Where There Might Have Been An Egt Probe From A Box On The Truck. I Know A Box With A Good Head Shouldnt Hurt Anything But I Also Know How A Lot Of People Are. Sure Hope Not.

Mark Rinker
01-15-2008, 06:03
This is the first DMax oil into the water scenario we've read about here. Not common.

Typically, head gaskets pressurize the cooling system and puke coolant out the overflow bottle. You'd be adding coolant, not oil.

Keep us posted!