PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Time ???

DChristie
01-30-2006, 13:54
Is it possible for a short in the electrical system to change the IP timing and make the change permanent?

I was driving around Houston and the old girl started to run rough (miss and cough). I checked the codes and found none. :confused:

I decided to jiggle the wiring harness in the IP, MAP sensor and the Fuel shutoff solenoid area.

I killed it a couple of times so I'm thinking short/loose wiring.
Since I killed it, I checked the codes again.

This time I get 18, 34, 35, 36, 48, and 62.

I replaced the MAP sensor and repaired a short I suspected to it. I found no other obvious issues.

The rough idle and miss are gone, but now I have an incredible clatter (like an angry old Ford International/Harvester trying to throw a rod... at me :D )

I jiggled the harness a bit more and the clatter stopped, back to normal noise. I went for a test drive; great power, but too much soot on acceleration but the turbo is spooling and I'm developing 8-10 lbs boost. The clatter re-developed on the test run. Wiggling the harness won't correct the trouble now. ( I was just going to run a rope through the firewall and leave a pair of heavy duty electrician gloves for the passenger to use when tugging on the rope :rolleyes: :D )

I've had to drive it like this for now, (only tranport I have.) The clatter is louder when cold. It is reduced when hot but it doesn't go away completely.

Checked codes just before I came in to post, 34 and 62.

I don't have a scantool to check timing myself.

Ask any questions you may have if I missed something, or can clarify.

Thanks gentlemen

DChristie

More Power
01-30-2006, 22:36
DTC 34 - Injection Timing Stepper Motor Fault
DTC 62 - Turbo Boost Sensor Circuit Low

Move the control rod on the timing stepper motor by hand to ensure it's not stuck, then watch it as someone turns the ign key to run. The computer should re-initialize the timing stepper motor, as it normally does for each start.

Measure the voltage at pin C of the boost pressure sensor connector with the ign key in the run position. Should be 5VDC.

Jim

DChristie
01-31-2006, 06:33
Biggest Thanks from the big state of Texas to the Big Sky country...

The plug to the stepper motor had become partially dislodged, when I checked it out this morning after reading the reply I found it. :D

Another year or four of my membership has just been paid for...

I liked the power but I much prefer my quiet diesel.

Honor and blessing to your and yours More Power smile.gif

DChristie