PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Dmax ECM Programming

horsecamper
01-16-2008, 15:08
I mainly use my Dmax for towing. Only when I tow do I get an SES and a limp. Mark Rinker suggested, as a first step, to get the ECM reprogrammed. I talked to Kennedy Diesel and he says that he can either give me the 2002 programming, or a performance tune. He suggested the performance tune (two tunes), but to only to use the lower tune (40-50 horse power) because I have the standard exhaust. What do y'all say?

DmaxMaverick
01-16-2008, 15:14
I value and trust John's advice, but....

If you are limping with no mods, you need to find out why before proceeding with mods. If the SES is on, you will have a code. It may be important, may not. Your truck should not limp when towing if it is healthy. Something is wrong, and you need to know what. Throwing more power and new programming at it may not cure it, or worse, kill it. Get the codes read, and go from there.

horsecamper
01-16-2008, 15:58
DmaxMaverick, I kicked a code when towing last summer and the dealer said that it was the PCM. Got the PCM replaced and got home OK without incident. Then the next trip out, I got another SES. I drove home and took it to the dealer. The dealer didn't put the codes on the invoice, but said that the code said that it was the FCM. (FCM failing on cylindars 2 and 3?) The service guy said that they would just replace stuff in a certain order, and that if the FCM didn't fix the problem, that the injectors would have to be replaced to fix the problem. This is all a cash deal for me, so I decided to do a bit of research. Several people have said that the 2001 programming can result in phantom limp mode when towing heavy loads, and that the problem was cured by putting in the stock 2002 programming. Also, both Mark Rinker and John Kennedy said that they have heard of this. In an earlier post, Mark suggested that I start with the ECM programming. (Post was dated 1-10-2008) But, I noticed that you have a 2001. So, if you tow alot, you would probably know. Whitey has a ton of power and I can't kick an SES unless I tow. When I tow, I don't seem to get the SES when I would expect it. I would expect to get it under heavy load, like up a long steep grade, but I don't. It seems to be a somewhat random. I don't have any of the usual symtoms of injector problems, no smoke, hard start, rough idle, fuel in oil.

More Power
01-16-2008, 16:08
FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) codes can sometimes be due to loose electrical stud nuts on one or more injectors. If this problem appeared sometime after an injector replacement, it might be worth a look. Also, there have been wire insulation wear-throughs in the FICM harness (shorts), that would also produce similar codes and limps.

Jim

Mark Rinker
01-16-2008, 16:43
An inexpensive code reader from AutoZone or similar should be able to trap the code without an expensive trip to the dealership.

My bet, since it only happens when towing, will be the well known overboost code set with 2001 programming under load. The randomness is similar - its not necessarily going to happen uphill. Sometimes right after the hill. But always when towing, never empty.

My '01 (now sold) had this issue and it was fixed with 2002 programming.

linchhummmer
01-16-2008, 18:06
you might have already glazed the clutch packs causing a limp. how many miles do you have? what temp range is the trans running at?

DmaxMaverick
01-16-2008, 18:22
Check the code. Then verify it isn't something that NEEDS addressing before changing anything. Otherwise, start shopping now for a new engine. I understand what has been said above, but that may not be the issue(s). Err on the side of caution. If you assume it is the 2001 boost code fault (2001 PCM updates addressed this), and don't check for it, what happens when that wasn't what it was?

Check the code, any way you have to.

Kennedy
01-16-2008, 19:24
Some 2001's do this. Some don't. Many of the ones that tow do this. There is no factory tuning fix for it that I have ever seen.

Checking for codes is a good idea, but often there is no code stored. When I hear 2001 limp mode this is pretty much an automatic response.

DmaxMaverick
01-16-2008, 19:38
I agree, John. But he said at first he is seeing the SES and limping with it. There should be a DTC stored.

Mine did this, and was cured with an update. Mine is a CA model, so the 2002 PCM is not an option.

There's NOTHING wrong with installing a new program. All I am saying is confirm you don't have another underlying issue before doing so.

horsecamper
01-17-2008, 10:41
Thank you all for the information. If it helps any, Whitey has 66,000 miles and was originally a Canadian truck. Three of the times that it kicked an SES was after I had pulled a hill while towing. No SES up the hill. I turned it off and left it for a few days and the SES light came on the next time I started it up. I have found out that, if I have the SES light, that it will go out if I run the truck a bit and then shut it off, let it set a minute and then turn it back on. Will this happen if the SES was set off by a real problem? I take it that the code will be in the memory even if the SES light goes out. I will get a code reader and start collecting the DTC's.

DmaxMaverick
01-17-2008, 11:38
There should be a code in memory, but it may not be for long. It depends on the code class.

Shed
01-21-2008, 10:50
I bought a used 01' and modified the intake and exhaust immediately. I pull a 5'er and occasionally she would go limp with the SES light on. Dealer got the cose as an overboost code. It did this a few more times without codes. Dealer recc. taking intake back to stock saying I was shoving too much air into her. After talking with J.K. and Mark about thier expiriences, I too tried an update. So far so good. Dealer gave me an update and not an 02' reprogram. They said this was impossible. The update seems to be working fine 10 months later. Good luck, let us know how you fixed yours! Shed