PDA

View Full Version : 82 GMC Serria 4x4 front end issues, rebuild?

82gmc
01-19-2008, 13:38
The u joints on the front RH axel shaft let go. I took it in to have both sides replaced and the Mech called and left a message that my truck was in really bad shape. I hope he is talking about the front end. I had no issues that I knew off...ran straight down the road and did not notice any play in the steering. :(

My question; Has anyone rebuild their front end?

I suspect the axel shafts might have to be replaced.

Do the steering knuckles go bad? (they are expensive).

Does it reach a point where I should find another front axel out of the junk yard?

6.5 Detroit Diesel
01-20-2008, 10:51
What is the running gear? A D60? D44? Talk to Busted, he is somewhere on here and he just finished a bunch of work on the front of his "83 Crewcab 4X4

Robyn
01-20-2008, 14:02
Been into a lot of them. Not all that hard to fix. You need to be talking to the mechanic and have him detail out what is wrong.
Bad shape means nothing other than its gonna be costly for you.
Have him give you an itemized list of whats wrong with it.
These front ends are very simple in design and if it drove fine then unless there was some serious damage when the joint let go it should not be all that bad to fix.

Robyn

82gmc
01-22-2008, 16:11
Right axel shaft is shot (I knew it was damaged). The joint let go at 65 miles an hour.

It took out the inner seal in the housing. They are replacing the joint on the drivers side also.

Should eb good to go for another 20 years plus.