PDA

View Full Version : turbo or no turbo?

Jody Jack
01-20-2008, 00:05
well im just haveing a little fun. i woundering if i can get this done easly and cheaply. i got a 1986 cucv 6.2 L pickup 24v 12v system nato spec. i got a few 6.5l turbo's new laying around in my motor pool any chance i can put one on my truck? i know the 6.2 and 6.5 are basicly same motor but little diffrence's of course. and would it be worth it? i mean its just for going around a base in iraq but i get bored easly and finding stuff to tinker with.

Robyn
01-20-2008, 09:56
The stuff will fit.
You will have to get creative on the exhaust system but its been done.
The only issue with the GM 6.5 turbo on the older trucks was a clearance issue with the AC but the CUCV should not have AC so go for it.
Turn the fuel scew clockwise about 1/4 turn or maybe just a smidgin more.

You may run into some small clearance problems with the injector lines but they are easy to tweek or use the later 6.5 lines.

With a custom exhaust you can go 3-1/2" or maybe 4" with a large free flow muffler.

best

Robyn

oldmechanic
01-20-2008, 21:30
If the turbos are the center mounts like on the humvee it will not fit unless you machine the block for the mounting pad & oil drain. It would be easier to change the complete engine & modify the firewall for clearance & you would have to fabricate the exhaust also

ccatlett1984
01-24-2008, 22:26
you should look for a eary 6.2 banks kit, it bolts right in with no modifications to any of the cucv specific setup.

look in my photo album in my sig. I have pics of my install.

cwillis
01-25-2008, 09:51
you should look for a eary 6.2 banks kit, it bolts right in with no modifications to any of the cucv specific setup.

look in my photo album in my sig. I have pics of my install.

Was the banks kit worth the 2200 dollars they want for it?

ccatlett1984
01-27-2008, 01:59
i got my complete kit used for $500 (including the engine it was bolted to)
spent $400 on the turbo rebuild, $225 on having a crossover pipe made (truck it came from was a 2wd and they dont work on a 4wd truck)
installed it myself so the labor was free.

I'd say i have $1400 in the project including all the misc. expenses. and oh yeah was it worth it. (i included the price of the boost and EGT gauge, because you should have them before turning up the fuel)

DieselCrawler
01-31-2008, 13:34
Turbo is well worth the trouble... makes a slow truck quite peppy... alot more fun to drive, and no more worries about pulling out infront of oncoming traffic half a mile away...

The others posting before me have a better idea of what will fit your truck, but I think you're right, the blocks are simular enough to swap things over...

Good luck...

Greg

ccatlett1984
01-31-2008, 16:22
since the cucv has dual alternators, you may have some fitment issues similiar to the A/C issues.

the only thing you will have to modify to make the 6.5L turbo fit is the downpipe. otherwise its pointing straight into the firewall/frame.