PDA

View Full Version : Short Fuel Filter Life

Thirstyduramax
01-20-2008, 16:01
I have ran into a problem with real short fuel filter life when it gets even kinda cold 15-20 f I run a repair shop and everytime it gets cold I see several that wont run with any power and the only fix is a new fuel filter. my 07 LMM would not run without filter change and it only has 3800 miles on truck. Some of these filters have had less that 1000 miles on them. The filter in use is TP1298b GM Filter.

Thirstyduramax
01-21-2008, 06:18
More information I can't believe that I am the only shop or owner having trouble this seems to have come about with the ultra low sulfur fuel. You can open bleeder screw and re prime but no help. When you pull the filter you see no waxing or gel in the filter.And with no warm up in shop just a filter change outside the trucks will run normal. This cant be normal as some of these filters ran as little as 350 miles at temps no colder than 20f.

DmaxMaverick
01-21-2008, 09:58
Welcome aboard, Thirsty!

Give the thread some time. 14 hrs is hardly enough time for everyone to see it. Some go for days before the replies roll in. My guess is your issue probably has some folks scratching their heads. Not a common issue, but I'll comment on it.

Less than 5K miles on a filter is not common. GM recommends 15K, but more typically they go about 10K. Some more, some less. Your situation may be regional fuel quality. Because you operate a shop, it would be a service to your customers (and all of us here) to document these filter replacements, and include the fueling locations of each. 20° may be more problematic than below 0° or above 30°, depending on the normal winter temps you see and the fuel distributor's response to area temps. 20° is a hardline temp where #2 starts to have problems flowing. Without treatment, the fuel will cloud, and begin to gel. If fuel isn't treated (winter mix or winterized), you will see issues. The next time yours or another's does this, park it indoors (heated) for 4 hours and check it again when it is warmed up. If it still shows a restricted filter, have the fuel tested. If you don't have a fuel system pressure/suction gage, get one. It will speak volumes about the condition of the fuel and filter. The gage to get is at www.kennedydiesel.com, and will plug right into the port on the engine. The port is located between the filter assy and pump, which will indicate the amount of suction required to lift fuel to the pump (the Duramax doesn't have a lift pump).

Good luck, and keep us posted.

birdmax10
01-21-2008, 11:45
That just doesn’t make any sense. Either they get really contaminated fuel or there is a batch of really faulty filters out there. I have an 02 and changed the filter at 80k because I knew it was way way past due, not because there was any problem. I am a believer in fuel additive regardless of the weather conditions “ hot or cold”. It’s supposed to disperse any water, help lube the fuel pump and keep the injectors clean. Might try buying another brand of filter I like BALDWIN although they can cost a little more.
Keep us posted.

Mark Rinker
01-21-2008, 13:03
I wouldn't be too proud of a fuel filter run 80K miles. Any injector or running issues on that truck since? My guess would be if you waited that long to change your fuel filter, it was bypassing somehow through the filter LONG before that.

I have had good service from Racor PFF5544s.

Left to their own devices, our experience is that any filter will plug and cause running problems ~20K, winter or summer. That has held true so for for a 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006. Cold weather seems to exaggerate the problem. We changed one next to the road on the way back from Montana to Minnesota last night. Weather had actually started to get warmer, but it was too late for that filter - at about 18,000 miles.

I think you are dealing with waxing and/or small amounts of water freezing in the filters. Obviously they aren't blocked with foreign particulates at <500 so there must be a logical answer - and that would be the unusually COLD ambient temps. Totally related to fuel quality, not mileage.

IT WAS A COLD TRIP!

birdmax10
01-21-2008, 20:02
No, not proud of running a fuel filter for 80K nor would I recommend it, and yes it properly had little to no filtering capabilities left at that stage.
From what the gentleman described, the fuel is gelling or there is some water in the fuel and it is freezing. The solution to both of these problems is to use a good fuel additive, especially effective in such moderate temps. As 20F.
Not all filters are created equally, if I had trouble with a particular brand I would change to another.

madmatt
01-23-2008, 07:26
I'd check the fuel Quality REAL close. I've seen bad fuel plug a filter in well under 100 miles.

linchhummmer
01-23-2008, 16:02
it sounds to me like your getting some waxing and i would also bet if you heated those filters and put some winterizer in the tank it would do fine. i think stanadyne and ldl "longer diesel life" do a realy good job but i would stay away from additives with alcohol. you might also see if your local fuel station will carry winterized diesel

JohnC
01-24-2008, 10:43
For what it's worth, there have been more than just a few complaints of fuel flow restriction at cold temps with ULSD that never happened 2 years ago with LSD.

Black95TD
02-21-2008, 16:03
Thirsty, Personally I would suspect fuel quality. I have had several loads of real bad fuel over the years. Once on my 95 I was changing my filter when my wife walked by and said "Is the fuel supposed to look like that!" I had been shopping for the best price and and the fuel looked like diesel mixed with used motor oil. Now I only buy from known high quality suppliers. Been back and forth to the Adirondacks all winter and no problem. I stick with AC filters too.

Dakster
02-21-2008, 18:58
Have you cut one open when it is plugged? That will speak volumes. Don't let it heat up first. Ten you can see if there is debris or waxing/gelling going on. Apparently the filter can still look good and flow some fuel, but be plugged enough to cause running issues.

I sense someone making/creating a fuel filter heater... Thankfully it never got to 30 here in South Florida.

Runaway_Dmax
02-21-2008, 19:29
There has been some pretty lengthy discussions on the Diesel Place site about the fuel quality in Illinois. Seems you guys down there are getting B11 (bio-diesel) whether you like it or not. This is causing some concerns down your way. Not wearing the winterfront is causing some problems. As well as the TSB for the icing up of the Air Filter and MAF/MAS sensor. The TSB relocates the sensor and changes the air filter (different design).