PDA

View Full Version : What is the name and/or p.n. of this part?

joe bleaux
01-21-2008, 19:55
'98, 6.5td, thermostat manifold, passenger's side:
There is a fitting that screws into this manifold where some aluminum tube with plastic keeper goes in.

To clarify, this item is in the GM Service Manual 4 vol. set, c/k trucks, volume 3 of 4, page 6-592, illustration 64991, item 6.

While I am asking, what is name/p.n. of item 5?

I will check Gmpartsdirect and Rockauto and if no cigar, I will go to the dealer.

Thanks.

Joe

RyanA
01-21-2008, 20:18
I'm guessing you are talking about the quick connect fitting for the heater pipe?

Hubert
01-22-2008, 08:50
The dealer calls it Connector PN 15650056 about $9. Also recommended buy from Napa or better parts house and get the one made from steel. Most call it a quick disconnect. The OE metal was crap.

joe bleaux
01-24-2008, 11:29
Thanks, Ryan and Hubert.

I will try to find it made of steel. I am a bit afraid of putting aluminum and steel together in a wet environment but will try to wrap it very good with Teflon.

Joe

Hubert
01-24-2008, 17:17
Go to the tech section and read Robyn's advice on it. That's where I learned of the steel one. I went for a quote on all the hoses and went ahead had the connector quoted too so I had the info. I dunno the one from Napa looks better than the GM # to the naked eye. Both come with a coating on the threads. The trick is getting the old one out w/o breakage. Read Robyn's thread.

joe bleaux
01-24-2008, 20:51
Got it, Hubert - thanks.

Well, my fitting was already out before I read her thread. Napa says they don't carry that part either by description or by GM part number. I have been suspicious of them when they said on several things that they did not carry it.
I wonder!

O'reilly does but much higher than nine bux. I will call another Napa.

Joe

Go to the tech section and read Robyn's advice on it. That's where I learned of the steel one. I went for a quote on all the hoses and went ahead had the connector quoted too so I had the info. I dunno the one from Napa looks better than the GM # to the naked eye. Both come with a coating on the threads. The trick is getting the old one out w/o breakage. Read Robyn's thread.

restoguy
01-29-2008, 11:21
I went to the local bumper-to-bumper and bought a hose nipple with the right threads and just put a piece of hose on it(heater core to thermo crossover). I have had nothing but trouble with those quick disconnect fittings. Once you take them apart, they always leak. I know that they are faster on the assembly line, but when the truck is 14 years old a hose and two clamps is a lot more reliable. Cheaper than replacing that aluminium tube too! Just my $.02

joe bleaux
01-29-2008, 20:43
Restoguy; I appreciate the input. I bought a steel one from O'Reilly's. Napa swears they don't carry them.

The box from Dorman, that it comes in, does not list the 6.5, only the 6.0 and others. I will see when I go to install it.

Joe