PDA

View Full Version : Normal current draw at rest

sturgeon-phish
01-22-2008, 14:32
What is the "normal" current draw that I should see with the truck off?
For a few months now if the truck sits with out being ran for more than a few days the batteries go dead. The batteries are 28 months old and electrolyte is OK. Yesterday I charged the batteries to 12.55 and 12.56 volts ambient temp 45F. I disconnected all the cables. 24 hours later, 40F I read 12.26 and 12.29 volts. I cleaned and reconnected the cables but before connecting the drivers side positive terminal I connected my ammeter between the post and the cable and read .19 amp. Is this within normal range or do you think I've got something going to ground or ??????
Thank you for your help
Jim

JohnC
01-22-2008, 14:57
That's too much if it is steady state. Nearly 0.2 amps ~= 5 hours for 1 amp hour ~= 300 hours to kill the battery completely.

wade-ve7trw
01-22-2008, 17:37
usual suspects: memory in radio; computer; remote start & alarm; trailer brake controller; accessories added; onstar; also chargers left plugged in.
Also check the voltage leakage between the posts (amp/voltage meter positive on plus terminal and negative between posts on top of case) solution clean top of case very good. This is a case of a dead short between terminals and will have a drain on the voltage of the battery.

sturgeon-phish
01-22-2008, 17:49
I will make those checks. Thanks!!!!! Any more inut will be greatly appreciated.
Jim

sturgeon-phish
01-27-2008, 15:14
Finally got around to checking on the current draw. It appears to be from fuse #3 that serves the electric mirrors, courtesy lamps and dome lamp. The "Dome lamp off" switch does not always catch in the recessed position so I wonder if this could be the problem. From the wiring diagram, it looks like the line is hot. If it were bad would that cause the current drain?
Does anyone know how to access this switch? It is the one by the headlight switch.
Thanks
Jim