PDA

View Full Version : DMax won't start

03DMaxSilverado
01-23-2008, 15:20
New here and trying to get some help. I have an 03 DMax with 78000 miles, just replace the altenator and both batteries. It sat for a week before I could get to it and now can't get it to start. Tried repriming the fuel already and nothing. It turns over fine but won't crank. Any ideas?

linchhummmer
01-23-2008, 15:27
are you running winterized diesel? whats the temp there?

03DMaxSilverado
01-23-2008, 15:44
I'm using the fuel that's available, ULSD. I don't know if they witerized it or not, I haven't. The temp has fluctuated lately between the mid 60s and low 30s. I'm in S. Georgia.

linchhummmer
01-23-2008, 15:48
no that temps fine. did you start the truck after you put the battries in

03DMaxSilverado
01-23-2008, 16:01
Haven't been able to start it due to this issue that I can't figure out. I do know motors, but not a lot about diesels. This is my first one.

linchhummmer
01-23-2008, 16:07
did you hook your battries up right one time my dad put a batt in my truck wrong and fried the computer which was 600$

Duramaster
01-23-2008, 19:00
It turns over fine but won't crank. Any ideas?

What does that mean?

Do you mean that it cranks but won't start? :confused:

03DMaxSilverado
01-24-2008, 16:19
Yeah, that's what I meant. Was a little agrivated with it last night.

JohnC
01-24-2008, 16:41
I once had a customer tell me "it cranks but won't turn over..."

I told him I'd have our tow service turn it over for him.

Guess he never encountered anything with a real crank... :D

03DMaxSilverado
01-28-2008, 17:25
Found out the problem but not the cure yet. A buddy of my is a DMax tech at a dealership and found out the theft deterant system is not allowing it to get fuel. He's going to check on it tomorrow and see what he can figure out with it and why it activated.

Duramaster
01-28-2008, 17:39
You must have something else going on. Just changing the batteries is no reason for the theft deterrent to activate. Do you have any aftermarket accessories plugged into the vehicles computer systems? Exchanged radio or IPC?

madmatt
01-28-2008, 18:08
The last one i had that was spinning good but wasn't firing off was a blown fuse,, ECM or FICM,, I can't remember!

DieselMonk
01-29-2008, 04:38
Sometimes a worn key will do that too... Try the spare key.

03DMaxSilverado
01-30-2008, 14:25
Completely stock truck, nothing added. Will try the spare key and see what happens.

Was told the theft deterrent system needs reprogramming.

Duramaster
01-30-2008, 19:02
Ok, this is getting us somewhere. Were there any theft deterrent DTC's set in the ECM or BCM? You could possibly have a defective PASSLOCK sensor if the codes are related to the VTD system. A theft deterrent program event takes some patience when not using a Tech2.

jeep haller
02-01-2008, 10:40
Went to start my 04.5 dmax with 81,000 miles yesterday and is all it would do is crank over. looked at this post this morning and used my predator to check the dic codes and found one for anti theft device #p1631. I erased the code backed out of the predator and the truck started right up. I did not change anything on this truck from the last time I used it 5 days ago. It is not stock, it also has a boost stick and 4" exhaust. But it ran fine last time I used it and have no one try to tamper with the truck. I would like to thank this post for helping me and I hope this helps others with this problem.

03DMaxSilverado
02-01-2008, 17:33
That's the same code mine pulled up. My buddy couldn't bring the tech 2 from work and when he cleared it with the tool he did have it came back. I couldn't remember that number until I seen it.

Duramaster
02-01-2008, 20:27
I just checked the diagnostic chart for the P1631. It still sounds like you have a passlock sensor issue. The first step is to perform the theft deterrent relearn procedure. If that does not fix it, then the problem will more than likely be the passlock sensor (ignition lock case assembly, not the lock cylinder itself). Of course this is internet diagnosis. There is nothing like actually being there in person to perform the diagnosis. ;)

03DMaxSilverado
02-02-2008, 18:46
I appreciate the help. How do you make it relearn? Or is that something the dealer has to do? I'm learning more and more about this as I go.

Duramaster
02-02-2008, 18:51
This is the method used without the use of a tech 2................................

30 Minute Learn Procedure
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY telltale; after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes; the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important
The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.
With a scan tool, clear any DTCs, if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

03DMaxSilverado
02-03-2008, 10:08
Well.....It worked. Started up no problem after following your instuctions. All the help is greatly apreciated.