PDA

View Full Version : Heath and SSDiesel

DTR2214
01-25-2008, 12:11
Does anyone know what the difference is between the Heath max e torq chip and the SSDiesel chip?

And can you use a turbo master with the SSDiesel chip?

I was told the SSDiesel chip was a fuel only chip and doesnt change timing and all the other stuff.

Kenneth
01-25-2008, 12:47
Heath is a little better quality. I have looked into the Heath Max eTorque and was impressed with Heath's experience and knowledge of the product. He was able to answer all my questions clearly. I would also check out Kennedy Diesel. Kennedy has some great products as well.

DTR2214
01-25-2008, 13:41
Well, my problem is I have the SSDiesel chip, I want to put the turbo-master on my truck but Heath says it will not work unless I buy their chip. I dont have $325 to throw around on chips trying to find the best. Im kinda agrivated because I bought the SSDiesel without looking around. Anyway the SSDiesel site says their chip changes fuel, timing, trans preasure and boost control. Heath says SSD's is a fuel only chip and will not work with his turbo master. Who do you believe? I hear many people talk good about Heath and SSDiesel, so how is a guy that new to the diesel world tell when someone is being deceptive?

DmaxMaverick
01-25-2008, 15:35
Welcome aboard, DTR!

Why do you want to install a Turbomaster? Is your OEM vacuum wastegate controller shot? Vacuum pump shot? You will have to address this with either chip, or the PCM will complain.

If your OEM vacuum system is working, use it. It is better than a mechanical in many ways (includes keeping the PCM's ability to protect your engine when something goes wrong). It just has more parts (that can go wrong), but will do better to give you optimal performance if maintained correctly. Improving your boost is easy, if you read the right articles. The Turbomaster is a replacement for the vacuum system, or a bandaid for one with problems you don't want to repair.

I wouldn't say either one is any more believable than the other. The are both selling a product, and stand something to gain if they make you believe the other inferior.

I suggest you keep the chip you have, and work the issues. You don't need Heath's package to make it work. Heath's works, but doesn't have any fewer problems than any other brand.

john8662
01-25-2008, 15:36
It'll work with a TM. Just set the TM to the same boost pressure that the SSD chip allowed the factory wastegate system to achieve when chipped.

That way you won't get codes.

J

arveetek
01-25-2008, 15:46
Since the Turbomaster is a purely mechanical device, it shouldn't matter whose chip you use. Like John said, keep the boost set to where the SS chip would have it, and you should be fine and not set any codes or any other PCM problems.

Casey

DTR2214
01-25-2008, 15:48
Thanks DMax and John! Thats the kinda help I was looking for! The reason I was looking into it is after installing the chip, at a steady 70 mph pulling my trailer the turbo will at times run away. It has hit 18psi boost before letting off. I think it would go even higher if I hadnt lifted. After lifting it will go back to 10psi and stay there for a while and then sounds like a plane taking off and here goes the boost again! Just frustrated I guess.

DTR2214
01-25-2008, 15:49
What do you do about the vac system after pulling the stock wastegate valve off?

MrDiesel
01-25-2008, 17:13
I had a friend who had the same problem with his truck, his boost pressure would climb higher while driving at higher speeds. It ended up being the boost sensor that caused it. Changed the boost sensor and it was fine.

DTR2214
01-25-2008, 17:44
Thanks MRdiesel, I will check hat out!