PDA

View Full Version : 6.6L Diesel Engine Conversion Help

nbean73
01-27-2008, 16:10
I have a '56 Chevy 3100 with '75 C/K 4WD drivetrain and suspension. The trans is a GM Muncie SM465, (4 spd) and New process 205 Transfer Case. I am considering installing a 6.6L Duramax into this truck. The truck is a rolling chassis now, ready for an engine install. My questions are...
1) Will the 6.6L Duramax fit?
2) Will it bolt up to the Muncie with the correct bell housing?
3) What mods are neccessary and what additional stuff do I ned to get to make fuel, electric, etc. work on this conversion.

:) All helpful feedback would be great n_bean@milton.edu

a5150nut
01-27-2008, 16:28
If your gonna run the highway you'll need an overdrive trans, 5 or 6 speed or you will max out rpm's. I knew a guy that put a Cat 3208 in a 76 K1500 and he was going to add more gears. Maxed out at 63 mph. A diesel has a lot narrower working range than a gas motor. If you have access to the members area you will find a complete article there on putting a DMax into an older rig. Or drop on down to the conversion forums.

Lonnie P
01-27-2008, 20:59
What frame are you using?
I have a '59 truck & there is a lot of room in there.

My biggest concern is the trans.... as stated above you need an OD trans to be able to drive it unless you have a very low numerical rear gear.

The 205 xfer case is strong, so you should be OK with that. You just need to get it connected to another trans.

I'm doing a Duramax conversion in an '82 pickup so I've been through a lot of what you are trying to figure out. Try to get a donor vehicle with everything possible as the misc. wiring, computers etc., all add up to a big expense if you have to buy everything individually.