PDA

View Full Version : Maximum HP and Torque

TwinTurboIntercooler
01-28-2008, 08:52
Dear friends

I have a long block 6,5 bought from Paul at Diesel Auto Services for a few years ago. And now it`s time to finnish the project.
Its a Gold engine with modified bottom and I think Kennedy pistons.
After I bought it, it was taken a part and balanced very well.
A top fuel mechanics did the job and he also ported the heads.

I have 2 Schnitzer? turbos bought from Peninsular, the same as they use on their 400 hp and the water cooled Intercooler.

I want to change the turbos to bigger turbos so I can get more power. Is it someone here who can give me some good advice on witch turbos would be best?

Also, is it someone here who got any experience with liquid filled Intercoolers?
I`m wondering if it is some liquid who's better to use than water, and I`m wondering on how big the system has to be and how big pump I`m going to use so the flow of the liquid should be correct.

Last questions for the engine for now, do anybody have some experience with Propane injection on already HP diesel engines and what about using Biodiesel?

I`m looking forward for all your help.

Hubert
01-28-2008, 10:27
Ambitious post.

Introduce yourself and read through some old stuff and get a flavor for things. Is this a hotrod sport truck or tow truck. Lots of questions to be answered and you already seem a little off on some theories to build real power.

I believe the schnitzer is a big non wastegated turbo for all 8 cylinders (marine application higher steady rpm use) if you go with twin turbo you'd need a smaller turbo for 4 cylinders ea. Do able but maybe not a huge advantage over correctly sized single turbo.

Fill out your signature and read a bit several here have built strong 6.5's.

DennisG01
01-28-2008, 11:35
...and check out the Members Area. There's a recent, EXCELLENT article about turbochargers.

rustyk
01-28-2008, 22:23
I suspect 400HP from an air-liquid cooled engine is expecting a bit much; OTOH, one isn't going to be hitting 400HP very often. Anyway, as plusses are the Kennedy pistons (18.1:1, no?). The boost from twin turbos won't benefit much fom a charge-cooler (but it can't hurt).

Water with ethylene glycol (or equivalent) is plenty good for liquid-cooled charge coolers - that heat has to be dissiapated somewhere...probably the radiator...

I have an aftermarket non-waste-gated single turbo on my motorhome (came with my built-to-spec Peninsular AMG engine); a charge cooler wouldn't add much to an already-robust engine, considering the max boost (around 11-12 psi).

93GMCSierra
01-28-2008, 22:52
I wish I had the funding, cuz im sure it would probably take quite abit, to build a twin turbo liquid cooled intercooler 6.5, if you used a seperate rad and elect pump you could keep the air quite abit cooler and what about running 16.1 to 1 pistons, and 25 to 35 psi of boost?