PDA

View Full Version : Trouble removing lower ball joint

DA BIG ONE
01-29-2008, 01:29
I'm having a bad day, can't get the lower ball joint to even budge (99 k2500 4WD BURB). Using HD truck ball joint removal tool (c-clamp type) w/impact gun, this tool worked fine to remove all the joints on my RAM 3500.

Even put some heat to it, didn't help.

Any ideas would be welcome cause I'd hate like hell to have to buy more tools or remove the lower control arm (forged type) to take it to a shop to press out joint.

HELP!

diesel65
01-29-2008, 07:43
As you mentioned you've used a ball joint press before but are you sure you are using a big enough collar to receive the old joint, the stud is not hanging up in the hole of the plate. Are you pressing from the topside of the arm?
If everything looks ok, then tighten the press as tight as you can then whack the arm around the ball joint and keep retightening the press. If you have a big punch then hit the ball joint itself (grease fitting side)

Good Luck

rustyk
01-29-2008, 18:42
In addition to diesel 65's good advice, try soaking it with PB Blaster. And leave the clamp attached with as much pressure as you can apply.

DA BIG ONE
01-30-2008, 03:47
Thanks for the responds, been soaking for a day now. I'll load the tool and tap the area with a punch and hammer.

Thinking dry ice on top of ball joint to contract it.

Will go at it again today!

DA BIG ONE
01-30-2008, 10:24
Had to use 4' pipe as handle extension on 3/4" breaker bar.

Now for some cold ones and a long nap,ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

diesel65
01-30-2008, 17:31
"tap the area"

That's girlie talk (sorry Robyn), I meant WHACK it with a 36oz. ball-pein hammer.

Well at least you got it out!!!!!!!

rustyk
01-30-2008, 18:55
I feel your pain - I bought a use generator fo my motorhome, and had to separate the genny from the engine to replace an oil seal. Used two 12T bottle jacks to do it...:confused:

DA BIG ONE
01-31-2008, 03:16
"tap the area"

That's girlie talk (sorry Robyn), I meant WHACK it with a 36oz. ball-pein hammer.

Well at least you got it out!!!!!!!

I got a good laugh with this one, thanks.

However, the ball joint removal tool did block the area where I could have "WHACKED" so the big punch and hammer idea seemed like a good idea at the time.