PDA

View Full Version : Transmission on/off during engine replacement?

Craig M
02-02-2006, 11:24
Replacing engine and transmission on 95 Yukon. Can raise the front end of the Yukon and have good hositing equipment. Is it quicker to install the engine and transmissin together or separate?

Dvldog 8793
02-02-2006, 12:18
Howdy
IMHO- Remove everything in front of the engine that you can(also good time to have the Radiator cleaned out) and take the whole works out at one time. I've done just the engine and also one with everything and I think it was easier to to everything. Many others out there with way more experience....
L8r
Conley

rjschoolcraft
02-02-2006, 13:36
I've done it both ways. I, by far, prefer to remove the engine or transmission individually. The combined engine and transmission is a lot of weight to have hanging on a hoist. You also must have a means to tilt the engine/transmission down at the rear to clear the tunnel.

Craig M
02-07-2006, 14:18
I was planning on using an overhead hoist with two separate chainfalls to hoist the engine. That will allow me to tilt the engine as necessary to get it into the engine bay and then back to level. Was planning on putting 12x12 blocks under the wheels to give room for the "tilt" Have a transmission jack to push the transmission up to final position. Not having done it with this 95 vehicle wanted comments. Is just removeing the radiator enough in front? If the transmission is "easy" to unbolt in place is that the easier approach?

redbird2
02-07-2006, 20:28
I done them both ways, I normal pull them togeather if I need the transmission out also. if I have no reason to pull the trans then leave it alone especially on 4x4 that way don't have to mess with transfer case. two wheel drives just as easy to pull togeater. I also have a lift I use for pulling engines out of Semi-tractors so it has high weight rating. I know I was pulling one not long ago and had forgot to remove 1 motor mount bolt I picked up front of truck by engine lift brackets.