PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 LTD won't start

BigArt
02-03-2008, 11:20
I have a 1995 3/4 ton HD Silverado with a 6.5 LTD. I had the motor replaced (long block) and have less than 1500 kms on it. New turbo, new injectors, new IP, new glow plugs, new fuel pump, new batteries, new starter. It was running fine until yesterday. It cranks over just fine, seems to try to fire up, but won't. There is a lot of black like "smoke" coming from the exhaust. Granted it's cold out (-25C to -40C with WC), but have it plugged in with oil pan heater, and battery blankets. I have added an anti gell to the fuel, and checked to see if fuel is getting to the filter, and it is. I'm stumped.. I guess I take it back to the shop $$$$.http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif Any thoughts/ideas out there?

rustyk
02-04-2008, 00:00
This is but a WAG, but I don't know if the oil pan heater is sufficient to get things warm enough; the black smoke would indicate the turbo isn't spooling up (if it doesn't pretty quickly, it acts as an obstruction to airflow), and it won't unless you're getting some combustion. If you have a block heater, that should be used as well.

IIRC from my days as a fuels/lube engineer, the lower limit for anti-gel (called "pour-point depressants") was -40C; you could have a gelling issue, but that is counter to the report of black smoke.