PDA

View Full Version : WHOO my first diesel, first project for a family. . .

cwillis
02-03-2008, 13:21
Well I picked up a 1984 Suburban Silverado yesterday. It's a 6.2 Diesel 4x4.

Some surface rust in places, but it runs pretty well.

The interior needs some work. I think the red cloth is aweful.

http://i32.tinypic.com/2u6puf9.jpg

So here are my plans for it. . .

1- Sound dampen the inside with RAAM mat. My family and I take at least one 6 hour road trip a month. We bought this to be able to carry all of the baby stuff. . .

2- "Re-Do" the interior. New Carpet, seat covers, cover dash pad with tweed, and new headliner. The plastics will be getting vinyl dye of the black variety. I want black and gray interior.

3- replace key suspension parts to make the highway ride nice and cushy. softer springs, maybe airbag helpers in the front to match the back. Def new shocks

4- Car entertainement system. . . I havent decided between a CarPC or just a multi-zone system. I really want a CarPC so i can have all my MP3's and home movies on there. (nothing like being able to see your baby boy and wife when uncle sam has you across the country)

5- Exterior. Still deciding on shaving the handles. Either way I will be shaving a few things, and removing some of the badges and chrome trim.

I will be doing my first solo paint job on this truck. I have always had help. I want to keep the red, but extend it all the way to the bottom of the truck. The red would be alot richer, like ford red. The black will be reshot. with extra clear coat.

6- MPG!!! Always looking for ways to make mpg better. The main point of owning this type of diesel is the reliability and the MPG.

tell me what you think

hockeyGTP
02-03-2008, 16:21
a Carputer would be awesome in there. There is no denying that. I am still trying to get mine transferred to the truck.

a5150nut
02-03-2008, 21:17
Am I the only one just seeing the ceiling of the garage/carport?

Jochen Woern
02-03-2008, 23:18
Nope, you are not the only one, ................ this is all I see as well.

93GMCSierra
02-04-2008, 00:00
I thought it was just me, thought the connection dropped or something and that was all that transmitted, lol I cleared the browser cache 3 times just to make sure.

cwillis
02-04-2008, 01:31
lol sorry. i guess my connection messed up to the host site when i was uploading. . .

you werent missing much, shes nothing special. . . yet

http://i28.tinypic.com/erg605.jpg

cwillis
02-04-2008, 01:34
heres how i found her. . .

http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/car/539054713.html

Subzilla
02-04-2008, 13:26
Looks spiffy! You're right around the corner from plus a few miles. I've had my 6.2's for quite a while - Sub more than a decade. Cheap parts, easy to work on, easy to diagnose, good mileage but a little wanting in the power department. Not bad but could be better.

Good luck and have fun. You've come to the right place for GM diesel info.

cwillis
02-04-2008, 14:47
Thanks! I cant wait to get elbow deep in this thing. . .

I have some questions already, but i will post in the 6.2 forum

ttyl
Chris

cwillis
02-04-2008, 16:52
add on board air and on board welder to the list of goodies i want

a5150nut
02-04-2008, 19:20
Now that is better. I can see, I can see! You had me worried my new glasses were messed up. Looks like a solid foundation and I bet its PAID FOR! No nagging payments, sept for parts and goodies!

Like they used to say in the speed shop I to work in," Speed costs. How fast can you afford to go?" And the adventure begins......:D

cwillis
02-05-2008, 03:23
ya but i did some looking last night and it looks like i have a whole lot of corrosion control to do. The undercarriage is all covered in surface rust. its only bad in two places, and i can weld in some reinforcments. I need to stock up on wire wheels and semi-glass black spraypaint. . . .