PDA

View Full Version : Truck Won't Start

BillAvery
02-04-2008, 15:15
My Suburban was missing every now and than, so I decided to put a new FSD on and move it's location from the top of the intake manifold to in front on the drives side battery.
I make a cable extension with 16 Gauge wire.
Now the truck will not start.
I don't think I made any wiring errors, but to be sure I need someone to verify my wiring.

From the FDA connector pins:

A_______Green-------|
B_______Red---------| To
C_______Black--------| Sensor
D_______Pink/Black---|
E________________Red---| To
F________________Black--| Solenoid

Thanks
Bill

DickWells
02-04-2008, 19:19
Bill: Don't know about your wiring scheme, but here's something to think about. BTW, my 6.5 is 2000 miles from me, that's why I can't talk about the wiring. Anyhow, about 5 years ago, in Fl., I thought I was having PMD problems. Bought a new one and kept on having problems with skips, no start, stalling, etc. Got up one morning, and had my wife help me hold connectors and wires while I probed end to end on each with an ohm meter. Got to a purple and black one (I think) and got an intermittent open. The break turned out to be in a plastic block encapsulation in that harness that I think GMCTD told me was a filter of some kind. I jumped around that block with a piece of wire on that lead only, and my problems went away for as long as I had that electronic pump in there.
Just for what it's worth. You might have achieved a permanent open within that block while you were building your harness. All the wires in that harness go through that block, so you can't miss it.
I did my own harness extension, too. I soldered and then potted both spliced ends in epoxy, just to be safe. The harness was a great success.
I had my FSD in the same location you now have. I found that I got a lot of heat coming off the rad tank, in front of the battery and onto the heat sink. Blocking off that gap on the left end of the rad took care of the heat, and the FSD stayed much , much cooler after that.
Good luck.
Dick:)

DickWells
02-04-2008, 19:36
Bill: My 6.5 is 2000 miles from here, so can't give you the right colors. But, for what it's worth, here's a thought based on an experience that I had a few years back down in Fl.
Bought a new FSD to try to stop the mis-fires, stalls, etc. that I was having. Didn't cure a thing. Got up the next morning, with my heart down in the bottom of my gut, and fired up the Sub. Started wiggling that harness while it idled and it shut down. Wiggled the harness while my wife cranked it and it started, then shut down when I kept wiggling. Started bugging all the wires, connecter/connecter with an ohm meter. Turned out to be an open inside that little molded plastic block that I think GMACTD told me once was a filter of some kind. Think the wire was purple and black? I just jumpered around that block on that one lead with soldered connections and was back in business. Never bothered again as long as I had that electronic IP in there.
I made my own extention, too. Located in the same place. You'll get a lot of heat off the left end of the radiater, unless you block off the gap between the rad and the left battery. Mine ran much cooler after I blocked that path of hot air from moving through there.
Best of luck.
Dick:)

DickWells
02-04-2008, 19:42
Yuk: How did both those notes get through? I swear I thought I lost the first one when this contraption told me the Webpage could not be displayed after I hit the Submit button! That's happened a lot lately, and I have NEVER been able to find my first note, before. Sorry again, folks.:o
DW

DickWells
02-04-2008, 19:51
Yuk: How did both those notes get through? I swear I thought I lost the first one when this contraption told me the Webpage could not be displayed after I hit the Submit button! That's happened a lot lately, and I have NEVER been able to find my first note, before. Sorry again, folks.:o
DW

BillAvery
02-05-2008, 08:58
Thanks for the reply Dick. I'll check that out. BTW you did it again, duplicate post.
Bill

BillAvery
02-05-2008, 09:32
Does anyone know the resistance of the pump solenoid?
Bill

BillAvery
02-06-2008, 11:55
I found the problem, I had the two red wires reversed.
I located the problem after getting a full set of colored wiring schematics from Automotive Wiring Diagrams. About 4 hours after I transfered $11.99 to them though PayPal they e-mail me a link that allowed me to down loud a PDF file that had all the wiring diagrams for my 1995 GMC Suburban.
If anyone is interested the site is http://www.ahdol.com
Dick, I haven't been able to locate the filter block with purple/black wire you were referring to.
Do you remember where it is located?

Thanks
Bill

DickWells
02-06-2008, 18:56
It's in that harness that you extended. Was right near the pump originally. If memory serves it was about 2.25 L X 1.75 W X .40 Thick. I think I found mine on the right side of the pump (passenger's). But, after that first pump replacement, the dealer left harnesses dangling everywhere but the factory locations.
Don't put much faith in the colors or the size, though. That was about 6 years ago!
Thing is, you've fixed your problem, so I don't need to confuse the issue more.
Good on yuh!
DW:)

DickWells
02-06-2008, 18:59
Bill: I just sat here and had a disturbing thought. Could it be that the plastic block was in another harness? Heck, now I don't know for sure!!! In any case, bet I'll lose more sleep over it than you will.
Cheers.
DW:confused::)