PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Leaking fuel around filter housing after filter change.

65turboman
08-16-2004, 15:34
i just changed my fuel filter on my 1995 2500HD 6.5TD. after draining and cleaning the housing i inserted the new filter and primed. After shutting the bleed valve on the filter, diesel seems to me leaking around the top of the filter seal. i cant get it to stop. it is leaking with just the pressure of the lift pump. (engine not started or cranking) please if any input.

tanker
08-16-2004, 17:46
Unscrew the ring and lift the filter out. Check the condition of the gasket, is it seating properly? Did you align the large slot? If the gasket is good and not pinched, carefully reinstall it and align the large slot, now carefully screw the plastic ring down and make sure you did not cross thread it. A hint that I use is a little white grease on the plastic ring threads, make it easier to tighten, and loosen next time.
When changing the filter, I use an absorbent pad on all side of the filter, and have a coffee can in one hand to quickly put the old filter in. Less mess and smell of fuel after completion.

Barry Nave
08-17-2004, 03:13
Filter is an easy R&R. When slots are right the filter will seat down around the O ring.
Clamp nut needs only hand tite. Use no tool ;)

ttpost
08-17-2004, 07:35
you might also want to check the ring closely for cracks.

hump
08-17-2004, 14:54
Had the same problem, rubber seal on filter wasnt seated properly. Had to fix it on the fly without draining filter assembly, which I don't like. I think it allows dirt to swirl around in the fuel and get beyond the filter when you replace it.

65turboman
08-19-2004, 11:14
Thanks alot for the replies. I finally got the filter to set down far enough for the o-ring to seal and the leak stopped. I also noticed there is no screen in the fuel outlet tube in the housing. :mad:

MTTwister
08-19-2004, 11:32
Can you check the filter you just pulled out? it might still be in there...