PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spacers? Are they safe?

arveetek
02-05-2008, 07:39
I'm thinking of installing some wheel spacers on my Tahoe. I don't like the looks of the factory wheel backspacing, and I'd like to move the front wheels out maybe 1", and the rear wheels out about 1.5" to 2" (so the rear wheels match the front....I always hated the look of the narrower rear track on the GM 4x4's).

Is this a good idea? I've often wondered at how safe those wheel spacers actually were.

Something like these spacers (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wheel-Adapters-Chevy-GMC-Taho-Yukon-6-Lug-Spacers_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42614QQihZ012QQ itemZ220197548228QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) is what I'm thinking of.

Thanks!

Casey

opto
02-05-2008, 13:41
Changing the offset isn't that good for the unit bearings and tierods up front.
It just puts more stress on those components which will result in premature wear.

If I were to use spacers I would go with steel ones and not aluminum

arveetek
02-06-2008, 08:08
Changing the offset isn't that good for the unit bearings and tierods up front.
It just puts more stress on those components which will result in premature wear.

Wouldn't using wheels with less backspacing result in the same extra stress on the bearings? I know people have been installing larger tires and wheels with less backspacing for ages, and I never heard of bearing failure as a direct result.

Casey

DaveNY
02-06-2008, 18:39
Put a set 2'' on rear axle around 25,000 mi. ago. Billet aluminum, one of the better upgrades I have made on the truck. Handling and strangely enough the ride Improved noticably, Plus it looks much better. Absolutly no problems. Tried retorqueing 3 times and was not needed.
Dave
PS: I would check alignment after front install