PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressures

Kingston
02-06-2008, 12:42
I really hate to post what could create a very active reply but here go's. I just replaced the tires on my 2001 Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax and was told by the tire shop to run the tires at the pressures indicated on the door. I questioned the shop about running the posted pressure in the rear when running empty in fear of wearing the center of the tires out. Has anyone played with tire pressures when running empty that gave optimum tire life.

DmaxMaverick
02-06-2008, 12:55
Wrong forum, but I'll move it to the Trucks and Drivetrain Forum.

Old discussion. If you spend some time with a calculator, I think you'll find that tire wear should not be calculated. The fuel economy will eat up your tire wear gain during the life of the tire. Higher pressures yield greater economy, and at the current price of fuel, the difference is even more significant.

Adjust the tire pressure for comfort. Either the comfort of your wallet, or the device immediately above your wallet.

tspendlove
02-06-2008, 13:20
For a few bucks (30 or 40) you can get a temp probe (search for "Infrared Thermometers" on http://summittracing.com for examples). With this in hand, drive for 15 or 20 miles at highway speed with the load in question to bring the tires up to temp. Stop and take a temp reading at the inner edge, center and outer edge of each tire. If the center is hotter your pressure is high, if it's colder, your pressure is low. Adjust pressure and repeat until all three reading on a given tire are the same temp. You now have optimum pressure for your current load and speed conditions. Just don't go over the max pressure rating printed on the side of the tire.

Ted

Stlheadake
02-07-2008, 08:35
Wrong forum, but I'll move it to the Trucks and Drivetrain Forum.

Old discussion. If you spend some time with a calculator, I think you'll find that tire wear should not be calculated. The fuel economy will eat up your tire wear gain during the life of the tire. Higher pressures yield greater economy, and at the current price of fuel, the difference is even more significant.

Adjust the tire pressure for comfort. Either the comfort of your wallet, or the device immediately above your wallet.

I'm with Maverick on this, I run higher pressures (read max pressure on side wall of tire) for economy. Also, I don't have to worry about my tires when I tow/load the truck.

40grit
02-07-2008, 08:55
I adjust for comfort, but also try to get as much of the tread to touch as possible for safety...lay down a sheet of white paper, drive over it slow, then compare it to the tread of the tire, if you fill them to max pressure with nothing extra in the truck, you are running on a very thin contact patch, this lessens traction, a very bad condition for emergency driving, along with most normal situations...

it's just too easy to add air when you plan on extra weight to drive around at full load rating all the time, plus that makes the empty truck ride 8 bazillion times worse than if the tires are a little pudgy...

precision37
02-07-2008, 14:17
i usually run 55 psi all around and air up the rears when loaded heavy. I haven't seen any difference in fuel mileage either way. The truck rides better empty on lower tire pressure and the back end isn't so squirrely on rough roads.

trbankii
02-08-2008, 10:10
With this in hand, drive for 15 or 20 miles at highway speed with the load in question to bring the tires up to temp. Stop and take a temp reading at the inner edge, center and outer edge of each tire.

Hmmm... Have to give this a try. I've used the old trick of a chalkline across the tire and then drive in a straight line to see how it wears off. But since I have a temp probe I'll give it the "high tech" test! :D