PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein shocks

cudaaa
08-17-2004, 03:32
I tow 5000lb car & trailor 2 or 3 times a year may be 300 mi total. Do I want the standard or HD
For best ride? Any info greatly appreciated! cudaaa

cudaaa
08-18-2004, 14:06
Does anyone have any Ideas on how these shocks ride! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks cudaaa

MTTwister
08-18-2004, 14:26
cudaaa - maybe the fastest way to find out is to call John Kennedy and get his opinion ( then post it here, so I'll know too. I'll be in the market fairly soon ) smile.gif

Black95TD
08-18-2004, 15:32
Cudaa,

I have the same truck and have HD's. They're very firm when the bed is empty. However, they really shine with a load. I'd buy the HD's again just for the one time some one does something stupid while you're towing. With the rear springs on these babys I can't see how its ever going to ride like a car anyway.

My 2cts for what its worth.

Perry
08-18-2004, 21:41
I have Bilsteins that were installed from the factory as part of an option package. Does anyone know which bilsteins the factory used?

I like the way they ride, it takes a good shock absorber to dampen the momentum of a 6000# rig while providing a decent ride. I would have liked a touch more rebound control from the factory Bilsteins, but I'm not sure if the extra movement I feel is from the tires or shocks.

I've put Bilsteins on our other 4x4, sports cars, sedans...just about every 4 wheeled vehicle in my stable has a set of Bilsteins.

DA BIG ONE
08-19-2004, 03:23
Originally posted by Perry:
I have Bilsteins that were installed from the factory as part of an option package. Does anyone know which bilsteins the factory used?
The 2500 HD takes BE5-A405 FRT
" " B4620043 REAR

KENNEDY has a package deal on these shocks!

Further, AIR LIFT has a new item for GM IFS "Torsion Bar Load Assist Air Cells" takes about 1 hour for install, some of you may want this option.

joed
08-19-2004, 05:52
I'm probably one of the few dissenters, but I tried Bilstein shocks and did not like them. On my truck (K2500, 8600 GVW, ext. cab short box), I found them to be too firm for empty driving. It seemed like you felt every little bump/uneven spot in the pavement. I agree about better control loaded, it definitely did seem more stable. Granted, the choppy ride could be related to my truck's shorter wheelbase and lighter (relatively) weight as compared to longer wheelbase trucks.

I'm now running Rancho RSX 5000's, which are supposed to be self-adjusting. They seem pretty good, a little firmer than stock but not as firm as the Bilsteins. Some have stated Ranchos don't hold up long - we'll have to see.

Joe.

damork
08-19-2004, 16:55
I have a 95 Yukon 4x4 and installed Bilsteins after running Monroe Sensatracs which replaced the original Bilsteins that came from the factory.

The truck is a 1500, so not quite as stiff riding as a 2500 and the Bilstein aftermarkets are the best riding setup that I have had on the truck. They are firm but not harsh, no bounce and they produce a very good ride loaded or not. The Monroe Sensatracs seemed mushy, but my wife's Explorer has a set on it and it bounces all over the place and I wish I would have found Bilsteins for it. I'd go for the standard over the HD if you don't want a stiff ride or if you don't tow a lot.

cudaaa
08-20-2004, 17:31
Thanks for the imput it's much appreciated! :D cudaaa