PDA

View Full Version : interior questions

cwillis
02-08-2008, 16:21
So i have gotten some quotes from around town for covering my two benches. . . .the best i have gotten is 1000 dollars! I mean I dont mind them making a living, but im poor.

So I'm gonna have to do it myself. . . I already have the sewing machine.

So for anyone out there with seat covers, home made upholstery or professional, lets see it. I need something that will last.

I am between ballistic nylon, marine grade vinyl, and vinyl/tweed.

let me see your insides!!!!

A1C Willis

DennisG01
02-09-2008, 08:53
I can't help you with sewing part, but have you searched around for pre-made kits? I can't remember anything off-hand, but I know they out there - especially on the internet. You can buy the "skins" and then just rip the old ones off and put the new ones back on. A hog ring pliers should be under $20.

By the way, take a second and update your signature with the year/specs of your truck. It will help us help you!

cwillis
02-09-2008, 15:32
Yeah i looked around and i couldn't find any "kits" for less than $200/bench.

I can buy better materials and do it for about $20/bench plus my time, if i use cordura. Vinyl would be a little more but still alot less.

I was just wondering what other people have done.

ps= thanks for the heads up on the sig. i totally forgot.

~Chris

EDIT- going over calculations and it looks like 40/bench instead of 20. still alot cheaper than those cotton things. Looks like I will be going with 1000 Denier Cordura with water repellant treatment on the backing.

rustyk
02-11-2008, 20:24
I don't know where you live, but, personally, I've always preferred cloth over vinyl, naugahyde, or leather. My car has leather, which I hate - requires maintenance, and I can't carry my dogs in the car, because they slip and slide. Vinyl/Naugahyde is miserable in hot weather - and actually, in cold weather. Even Mercedes' "M-B Tex", a vented vinyl, was awful.

I vote for top-quality cloth.

cwillis
02-12-2008, 16:45
i agree totally. i am 90% set on 1000 denier Cordura with waterproof coating on the backing.

I use it alot on my military gear and i think the seats will come out great

cwillis
02-13-2008, 17:36
well i was showing the truck to my dad and the conversation went like this. . .

dad: oh, bench seats?

me: yeah, i love them. [My wife] sits in the middle by me.

dad: yeah thats great, but what about the headrests?

me: oh yeah, i thought it would be uncomfotable too, but its really nice actually

dad: yeah okay, what if you get rear ended though, or in any wreck.

me: ohhhhhhh . . . . . . . uhhhhhh .. . . .

haha i hadnt even thought about it. the conversation went on about how he remembers when that was a big subject and all the automakers started putting them in.

so im thinking about a seat like the chevy 3500 front bench in 2005's.

they have two seats and the center that folds down into an armrest. Three point seatbelts with newer technology inertia reels and pretentioners. .

so. holding off on the cordura seats for now. . . .anyone know anything about transplanting new seats in? I'm assuming ill be doing alot of welding.

daustin
02-13-2008, 19:48
The factory seats with the center fold-down bucket is a one part mount system. (at least on the 89-96's). Bolts on like a bench seat. Got on in my '93 dually, personally hate the things as your not centered behind the steering wheel, and the center
when folded down is too high for the elbow to rest on comfortably. I'm in process of going to real buckets with a console like my other truck. My 2 cents worth.
Don

cwillis
02-14-2008, 15:27
thanks, i hadnt thought about it being not totally centered. i will look for measurements.

thanks

Chris