PDA

View Full Version : paying for PCM update?

cartec01
02-09-2008, 12:27
This is my first post here, and I wish I would have checked here before bringing my truck to the dealer. I have a 2002 Chevy Duramax with 104,000 miles. I had a code P0181 and P0116. I took it to the dealer, they never asked me about plugging the truck in at tempatures above 0 degree's. When I got the truck back they charged me $165 to recalibrate the PCM. Now that I have looked on the forum, I see what they must have done was follow doc #1822793, although they did not install a different block heater cord.
I did check the TIS through the gm site and the software to correct false setting of DTCS P0116 and P0181 was installed, although it does not say when. It seems to me that this was a fault of GM, and maybe should have been installed long ago. Anyway, don't you think GM should cover the cost of the update? Nothing was broke, it was a design error on their part. Also, doesn't $165 seem a bit high to update a PCM? I think the motor on my truck had a warranty up to 100,000 miles, but I am not sure since I have had no other problems.
To add to my frustration the truck went back to the dealer because the SES light again came on, this time they are telling me the wire for #7 is bad, and the #8 glow plug needs to be replaced. So an estimated $250 in more work.
please let me know what you thing, and if anybody works for GM could you tell me GM's guidlines in re: to updating PCM's if GM comes out with an update to correct a fault with the original software.
You are the greatest
Dave

Duramaster
02-09-2008, 20:53
That's a tough one. I like to as much as possible check and update the ECM software as much as possible. Especially if the customer is in for a drivability complaint. On the other hand, I work with a guy that believes that if the vehicle doesn't have that exact complaint that the software addresses, then he won't update the ECM. It all boils down to the individual technician. ;)

Kennedy
02-10-2008, 09:48
Personally, I think that if the vehicle was purchased from the servicing dealer, a simple ECM update should be complimentary regardless of mileage. I mean for crying out loud, I've done this as a favor for people I don't know and aren't even customers.

I used to scratch my head and wonder why the dealers don't take a more active approach in doing ECM updates. Myself, I'd hit every one that came in if there was something like an EGR issue, or temp sensor issue.

There's a down side to that though too. It is the placebo effect. There is a general state of mistrust and it usually comes from the guys that use the word "stealer." The first thing they do is go and check mpg and when they are disappointed, they blame the software update and it's all the "stealer's" fault even though nothing was changed that would directly impact mpg.

Duramaster
02-10-2008, 10:29
And to top that, once the latest software is installed you can't go back to the previous version. At least at a dealership level. Maybe if a GM engineer was involved, but that requires alot of hoop jumping.

Dakster
02-10-2008, 17:33
In my last dealer visit to get the Clean Exhaust Filter message, I tried and tried to get the DEALER to update the ECM - no such luck....

Dawg
02-11-2008, 10:13
My dealer has been great. In fact, when my 3yr/36,000mi warranty was about to expire, I took the truck to the dealer. I asked him to check for any software updates/TSB's. No problem. Several software updates, treated the AC system, and serviced torque converter bolts. No charge. Obviously they scored big points with me. The shop has an attitude of "lets help instead of create complications."

Showgood1
02-11-2008, 23:10
I installed a dsl line for an O'rielly's auto parts the other day. They are gearing up to do updates on ecm's etc doubtful that it will do anything for diesels for awhile but its worth watching.

madmatt
02-12-2008, 07:21
I'm kinda iffy on just updating all the software all the time although I usually work it into some kind of warr when I do. My rule of thumb is that if an update may have anything to do w/ a complaint, I do it to avoid possible costly diag time that the update may negate. I have found that some updates may have other "side effects" so If there is no complaint what so ever that the update may fix, I leave it be. Like said above, I've had "educated" (you know the kind) customers come in and ask for any software updates be completed w/o having any issues only to come back pissed because there milage went to the ****ter or there tranny shifts like ****. I tell them they got the updates and the results and are now stuck w/ them till more updates are availabe to cure the new problems. So I say not to update unless it pertains to a current problem or issue and if possible,, work it around so it fits some kind of warr weither it be Fed emmisions or goodwill.