PDA

View Full Version : 400turbo trans from gas same diesel

LtWood
02-10-2008, 19:24
I pulled a 454 out then put in a 6.2 with new fly wheel and torque converter. The question is do I need to change anything else on the tranny?

Robyn
02-10-2008, 19:26
First off, Welcome to TDP :D :D :D :D

The governor will be calibrated differently for the diesel.
Check with a "Good" tranny shop and they should be able to fix you up.
Four little bolts remove the cover and slide one out and the other in.

Now if your engine came from a rig with a 700R you will need the vacuum control switch that fits on the IP to run the modulator on the tranny. Make sure that you have the hoses routed correctly to and from the switch. The engines vacuum pump needs to be pulling 25" HG with a gauge hooked to it. You should have 20+ at the modulator with the engine idleing and as the throttle is opened the vacuum should fall off to about 5" Or so at WOT. Just mess with it until it works well. Just dont run it with too little vacuum under a load as you can burn up the tranny with too little throttle pressure

The switch is a GM part #14057219 and is available from Ma General.
Adjust the switch so the shifts dont slide in nor do they tear your head off.
There is a spec for setting the switch but about half way on the adjustment slots will get you close. A 1-2 shift at light throttle should be about 15-20 and the 2-3 shift at about 30 or so.

The more throttle the harder and later the shift.
The governor calibration will also effect this too.

Any more questions just ask

Robyn

JohnC
02-11-2008, 15:19
You're going to want a different torque converter, too...

Robyn
02-11-2008, 19:00
Actually the converter from the 54 motor will work fine with the 6.2/6.5 as long as the bolt pattern is the same.

The guts of the convertyer are the same on these. The 400 with the 350 engine used a slightly different one.

The 400 converter is also about the same as the one used in the TH 350

The only difference is that the HD converter specifically designed to run with the diesel has the blading brazed in to stop it from shaking loose from the violent power pulses.

Just a tid bit or two

Robyn

JohnC
02-12-2008, 13:41
???

I'd figure the Diesel would have a lower stall speed.