PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust & programmers

ThumperTDC
02-11-2008, 18:36
In preparation of getting my truck set up to do some towing, I have installed an AFE stage 2 intake, got new tires and wheel that will stand up to the load. Next on my list is exhaust, I have been a big fan of flowmasters in the past. I have them on my 71 and they sound bad ass. Now for my 99 I am planning on going with areo exhaust (http://www.aeroexhaust.com/). I had not heard of them until a buddy sent me the link to their site. I am thinking I am going to go with the 3030XL muffler and running dual 3" pipes out that back with some nice stainless tips. I am wanting to hopefully keep the interior noise down, but have a sweet exhaust note coming from the pipes, and from listening tot he sound clips on areo's site I think I may have found it. Does anyone have any experience with these mufflers? I saw a clip online of a new cummins with a 5" areo system and it sounded really mean, but inside the cab at highway speeds sounded like the stock system, but outside it had a mean growl to it.

As for programmers, I have been looking at the bully dog power pup (I believe that was the one from my 6.0 gasser) because so far out of all of them it seemed to have the most increase when programmed for towing.

Since my rig has over 100k on it and my inlaws dont want to down size their horse trailer since they really aren't doing much with horses any more, this is what I am planning to do to hopefully not cause any damage to my truck..............since it is up there in milage.

I'd love to make it a super 6 0, but the wife put a stop to that idea really fast...........alls she sees is $$$$$, not the fact that it would aid in pulling that big ass trailer down the road.

What are your thoughts? Do my ideas seem pretty reasonable for my situation?

Just a side note, here is the link to Areo's sound page (http://www.aeroexhaust.com/exhaust_sounds.html). They don't have any of a Dmax with this muffler, but the powerstroke on page 2 sure sounds mean with one installed.

Here is the link to the Cummins with the 5" areo exhaust. areo 5050xl on a cummins (http://youtube.com/watch?v=6ymRRyEzFuk)

Mark Rinker
03-01-2008, 15:40
I had a 2004 K3500 flatbed tow rig. We dualled the exhaust through Flowmasters, added K&N filter and HyperTech power programmer.

It sounded sweet, pulled a little better, but drank too much petrol for my liking.

Since then, diesel and gas have switched prices. If I still had the truck, it might still have a place in the fleet, but nothing you can bolt on will make it perform like a DMax...:cool:...short of a supercharger and nitrous for the hills.:eek:

ThumperTDC
03-06-2008, 15:27
Well today I went and had a Magnaflow dual 3 inch inlet, dual 3 inch outlet installed. Friggin sounds sweet now, kinda curious in seeing how much my milage changes.

MagnaFlowRep
05-07-2008, 10:56
Well today I went and had a Magnaflow dual 3 inch inlet, dual 3 inch outlet installed. Friggin sounds sweet now, kinda curious in seeing how much my milage changes.

Thank You for the Magnaflow Loyalty :D