PDA

View Full Version : reground cam

dieseldummy
08-17-2004, 19:55
I was wondering if any one has tried the Diesel Depot's cam regrind. I was looking for some comparison to see if the way mine performed was similar to others.
Justin

Peter J. Bierman
08-18-2004, 12:34
I have one ordered but it will take till winter before it's going in.
How do you like it?

Peter

markrinker
08-18-2004, 16:12
Where can I find more info on this cam? Can't seem to find a website for the Diesel Depot folks, either...???

EWC
08-18-2004, 16:49
I'd like to see some specs , just to compare them with the Crane regrind that I have .

dieseldummy
08-18-2004, 19:29
It seems to make the engine a little slugish. Smokes more and doesn't seem to make the engine run any cooler. I don't know the exact specs on it, but Benny told me that it didn't have anymore lift, but more duration. I understood it to be that there was more valve overlap. I don't think they have a website, but they do have an 800 number.

tanker
08-19-2004, 01:42
You could try (www.avantsalvage.com) or e-mail at (sales@AvantSalvage.com) attn; Jamie Avant, or Benny Avant. They own two facilities in Sanderville Ga. Great honest folks. smile.gif

markrinker
08-20-2004, 04:35
Dieseldummy - how many lbs of boost are you running at full throttle? Timing setting? Was the cam designed for 18:1 motors?

dieseldummy
08-20-2004, 06:53
Mark, I am running around 20lbs of boost. Timing is a little advanced from stock, I don't have the means of getting it set with a meter. I don't know if the cam was designed for the 18:1's or not.

grape
08-21-2004, 14:49
www.deltacam.com (http://www.deltacam.com)

rickmeyer
08-26-2004, 18:58
Ive had several discussions with Jamie regarding the regrind. He was telling me that IP timeing needs to be advanced to the point the pump cant be turned any farther. He was going to look into changing cam timing, but havent heard if he did anything yet. Advance the he** out of it and see if that dont wake it up

dieseldummy
08-26-2004, 19:28
I have advanced the pump to the point that it made a powerstroke sound timid, and at no where inbetween did it run any better. The farther it was advanced, the more it smoked.

john8662
08-26-2004, 21:19
Hmm, just in my reading, but it doesn't look like the cam "upgrade" is any improvement over the stock cam from whats being said here.

Bobbie Martin
08-27-2004, 04:28
Originally posted by dieseldummy:
I don't know the exact specs on it, but Benny told me that it didn't have anymore lift, but more duration.Can I ask how you installed the cam? If you just lined up the marks, there is a good chance the cam is not timed correctly. They should have provided you a timing tag with the cam which had the complete cam specs, including where it should be timed at. This requires finding TDC, installing a degree wheel and then timing the cam. It really should be within 1 or 2 degrees, the closer the better. It usually requires an offset cam key to get the cam just right. Just installing a cam without knowing where its timed at is not advisable. Unfortunately, its not unusual for reground cams to be off a few degrees. If the cam is 5 degrees off, it may never produce the power it should. If you have a gear drive, I have read they advance the cam timing, so this could compound the problem. You may find the power if you time the cam. Then again, the cam might not suit your engine spec. Sometimes advancing or retarding the cam a few degrees makes a big difference.

eracers999
08-27-2004, 22:18
Bobby is totally correct. Degreeing a cam in is the only the only way of knowing if it is installed correctly. Judging from your post DD, it would be my call that you could advance the cam 2 or 4 degrees. Could really be a big improvement. Advancing the cam should cure the sluggish low end performance you have experianced.
Kent

dieseldummy
08-28-2004, 10:23
I'll see if I can get the proper equipment to time it that way. Thanks for the advice guys.
Justin

eracers999
08-28-2004, 17:57
Justin;
The summit cataloge has a kit, i think its from comp cams or their own brand, it comes with everything you need and learning material. Once you struggle through the first time you'll see just how far off everything can be. It can be so far off you will triple check yourself because you wont believe it can be that far off. Plus it is great knowledge.
Kent