PDA

View Full Version : Slight drip from Tranny, after my filter and pan work

MTTwister
04-23-2004, 09:16
Before I crawl under there to check bolts and temp sender, is there anything specific I should look for? Any of the bolts need to have 'sealant' when re-installing ( ie- threads open to the internal passages ) ? Thanks!

catmandoo
04-23-2004, 17:39
nope,in fact i have never used sealer on gm trans pans,now ford and chrysler are another story anyway whenever i take a pan off i take like a `5/8 inch socket and clamp it in a vise then get a small hammer and tap the edge around the bolt holes til they are flat again.thats usually the main point of leaks not getting the edge true again.

Scooby
04-24-2004, 09:04
MTT- This may not be your problem now, but I ALWAYS use tranny kits from NAPA, as they have a rubber type gasket, not the cork syle most others use. I have almost always seen leaks on trans pans that have the cork gaskets, over time. I think they crush out easier too. I have never had a leak with the rubber style gaskets- even after several years of use. I have even re-used them if they havent been on too long. Maybe I am alone in this cork gasket phenomenon, but they seem to start seeping over time- retorqueing wont help either. Thats my .02 .

PS-- What trans temp do you see on your gage ??

MTTwister
04-24-2004, 10:37
All - It was a new pan, out of the box - 2wd with the drain plug - ie shouldn't be warped. I re-used the original OEM rubber gasket - 36,000 mi and appeared to be in good shape - has the re-inforcement around the bolt holes.

Scooby - my trans temps are 0

MTTwister
04-25-2004, 06:39
mostly to get it BTTT -

Scooby - Went to the Dump yesterday - maybe a 5 mile trip, one way. Tranny Temps got to 160

Dan Nicholas
04-26-2004, 04:49
Hi MT,

If your pan is leaking after your change, I've had this problem many times Dodge, GM...maybe it's just me, but I've tried with sealant without etc. Got sick of banging pans, redoing the job...Finally, I got fed up and bought the B&M deep alum trans pan. Just did another post with the same info so below is a cut and paste of the benefits from my point of view:
truck).

- thick alum gasket ridge (no warping, good seal always).
- extra 2-3 quart capacity (more fluid to disperse heat...).
- drain plug (never have to drop pan again to change fluid).
- can drill and tap your trans temp sensor into pan (not the ideal spot, but is quick and easy if you current have no temp gauge).
- alum pan disapates the heat quicker.

The pan costs about $170.

There are a couple challenging bolts when putting the deeper pan on (near the crossmember). The mounting lip is so thick and rigid I was able to leave 1 bolt out. Torqued the others, no leaks, no problems (reused GM gasket).

I've used synthetic oil (trans & motor) for quite awhile. Don't be surprised if you seep oil on a vehicle with some mileage on it. Synthetic will find any weak gasket and seep more so than conventional oils (I think syn doesn't swell the gaskets as much??).

My 2 cents

rj
04-26-2004, 16:34
If using an aftermarket pan the rear 2 bolts by the transmission crossmember can be tricky. However, simply unbolt the transmission mount from both the transmission and the crossmember, raise the transmission slightly and slide the tranny mount toward the back of the vehicle. This will give enough room to get to the bolts with a 3/8" drive ratchet & extension. Just be careful not to cross thread the bolts.

Kennedy
04-26-2004, 19:56
The OE gaskets work wonderfully, BUT you need to clean them thoroughly before reinstalling.