PDA

View Full Version : Hayden Fans

CoachWagner
04-23-2004, 14:36
The Severe-Duty Hayden is a fine working fan drive for use with your factory metal fan. It is engineered by Hayden to pull the fan in at 185* air temp which is approx 196* water temp with a clean radiator. The Severe-Duty is fully engaged at 190* air / 200* water temp and this is precisely the temp range desired. In addition to the accurately engineered pull in temp, the Severe-Duty is designed to drive the fan with the gusto needed to maintain temps. None finer. The dual thermostat and hi-flow water pump conversion is an unecessary step, as the problem has always been with the fan drive -- the solution is the Severe-Duty Hayden.

What's your thoughts?

DmaxMaverick
04-23-2004, 16:04
The dual thermostat and hi-flow water pump conversion is an unecessary step, as the problem has always been with the fan drive -- the solution is the Severe-Duty Hayden. Pretty bold statement, with a little assumption of liability. Cold coolant is no good without the volume of the dual stat/HO pump, if you have issues with heat. Install a Hayden with the older single stat and OEM pump. Fry the engine and find out just how much Hayden will back their product.

Don't get me wrong. Hayden makes a quality product. It has been my experience, however, that they don't perform much better, if any, than an OEM HD coupler. IMO, not worth the premium they ask for. There is a better product out there, but I won't get into that here.

grape
04-23-2004, 16:07
I dont know about the fan clutch thing......haven't used an engine driven fan in over 2 years.

markelectric
04-24-2004, 08:15
I heard that pitch a while back, and I bought one. After a year on the truck and a bunch of hard hot miles, I can say it is true. I have been known to gross right at 26000# and never have had to worry about the heat since the swap.

CoachWagner
04-24-2004, 18:23
Originally posted by markelectric:
I heard that pitch a while back, and I bought one. After a year on the truck and a bunch of hard hot miles, I can say it is true. I have been known to gross right at 26000# and never have had to worry about the heat since the swap. Markelectric - Any other cooling mods?

markelectric
04-25-2004, 04:33
Just a carefully placed pressure washer at least once a year. 180f Robertshaw thermostat

Kennedy
04-26-2004, 13:33
Originally posted by CoachWagner:
The Severe-Duty Hayden is a fine working fan drive for use with your factory metal fan. It is engineered by Hayden to pull the fan in at 185* air temp which is approx 196* water temp with a clean radiator. The Severe-Duty is fully engaged at 190* air / 200* water temp and this is precisely the temp range desired. In addition to the accurately engineered pull in temp, the Severe-Duty is designed to drive the fan with the gusto needed to maintain temps. None finer. The dual thermostat and hi-flow water pump conversion is an unecessary step, as the problem has always been with the fan drive -- the solution is the Severe-Duty Hayden.

What's your thoughts? I'd like to know where that quote was, and what model number it refers to.

I'm not doubting the positive experiences stated here, just doubting the specifications given and that they differ from the OE unit. If they are as claimed, I'm wasting a lot of money building the units that I do...

I do have one of the so-called "special" severe duty units here and will likely acquire another so they can be tested...

markelectric
04-26-2004, 15:35
John, I started with a Heavy duty and saw no difference between that and a stock, I did see a big improvement when I went to the severe. As I understood it at that time (about a year ago)the severe had just become available. Most of what I found out was before I had internet access, or before I knew that you had a fix on the clutches.

Black95TD
04-27-2004, 04:11
Markelectric,

Here's my experience. Two years ago on a 90 degree plus day, towing my 19 ft boat up a long grade, my temps went very high but not in the red. Would have liked to hear the stock fan engage! Changed the thermostat with another GM stock and tested the new and old in a pan of water on the stove. The new one opened sooner but that made no diff. in temp on way back from the lake. Took the grill off and cleaned behind the radiator - very dirty. I sprayed the radiators with some cleaner I got from Heath. Also installed the severe duty Hayden fan clutch. On another 90 degree plus day I went out and drove around on some long hills in OD with air on. As the temp guage got to about 210, I could hear the fan engage and the temp dropped down nicely.

I'm satisfied with the stock set up and a Hayden fan clutch.

Dieselboy
04-27-2004, 06:41
I use the CW rotation severe duty clutch on my 6.2L, and it has worked very well. Recently, I was towing my friend's Jeep in central Texas around Llano. There's some good hills in that area, and as I was "pouring the coal to the fire" in OD, the temps went to ~205 and the fan clutch enaged bringing them back to 195.

S\W Off Road
04-27-2004, 07:05
Originally posted by kennedy:
I'm wasting a lot of money building the units that I do...Thats the same thing others have been saying for sometime now. :D

Had to do it :cool:

CoachWagner
04-27-2004, 14:48
Reply to Kennedy

http://heathdiesel.com/?action=prodinfo&partid=HDP1024