PDA

View Full Version : Dealer balking at FSD/IP warranty replacement HELP

sturgeon-phish
08-18-2004, 08:26
Truck SES light illuminated, coded P1218 one time. Prior to this it stalled on hot start, and a few other times. I took truck to dealer to get code & SES taken care of. Just talked to dealer, said PMD (FSD) bad and will need replaced. I inquired to verify replacement is covered under warranty (I've got 78 K miles)and the dealer said the warranty was only for the pump. I've read lots of posts on how to "convince" the dealers to back the warranty, but I'm limited on time right now and can't do a lot of searching. HELP!!
Thanks ahead of time
Jim

markrinker
08-18-2004, 09:23
Save your breath, and bring the truck home to install a remote mounted FSD on an extension harness, away from the hot engine. Total cost - about $400. Total time - 30 minutes, max.

www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) sells the whole enchilada.

Even if the dealer warranties the part, you are still going to pay labor for unecessary removal of the intake manifold - because they will only mount the FSD back to the IP location.

My first dealer FSD replacement cost $1000 ($400 parts, $600 labor), before I knew of the diesel page and how easy it is to do a remote mount FSD replacement yourself, and improve on the location of the heat-sensitive FSD at the same time!

HowieE
08-18-2004, 09:42
Try the remote FSD first even if does not completely solve the problem and the pump does have to be replaced you will at least have the remote in place and you can save the FSD from the new pump for a safty. Mount it outside the engine compartment forward of the radiator. Heath or Kennedy could overnight one to you.
In the mean time look for an honest dealer. Your pump is covered and all that it takes to do the job. As far as lookinmg for an honest dealer you may have to stand in line behind "Diogenes"

Dvldog 8793
08-18-2004, 10:16
Howdy
My pump and FSD were replaced under warrenty with 127,000 miles on the truck. There is a certain amount of testing that the dealer is required to do but it still is really up to the dealer as to what they WANT to do for you. My dealer was GREAT they replaced the pump and gave me the new FSD to keep as a spare since I had already remote mounted mine. Call the GM customer care dept and raise **LL. They have alwasy been good to work with for me. Sounds like your dealer doesn't want to help you out. :mad:
L8r
Conley Janssen

sturgeon-phish
08-18-2004, 12:02
Dealer called, said repair, parts & labor covered after they did some checking. When I go to pick up the truck I will have the special policy # (00064D) and the Document ID# (1332172) with me to avoid problems. I will let you know how it turns out.

markrinker
08-18-2004, 16:07
Excellent news - glad you're getting what you are due.

norm
08-18-2004, 18:32
Good to see that they came through for you. First dealer for me told me the same thing you were told. "fsd not covered, only pump" - and they wanted to charge me to do the fsd to "see" if that would fix it, and then go for the pump if still problems. The dealer (big in trucks) who has my truck right now (will be done Fri.) told me it might only be the fsd, and that it would be covered even if that is all they replaced! Turns out they were able to condemn the whole pump and will have the new one from Lord GM on Friday. I am happy for this and since I am at 113K, I will be on my own soon, and will save for fsd remount, etc...

sturgeon-phish
08-19-2004, 11:08
Just talked with dealer. They said the resister for the PMD was "missing", as in not there. What gives? Ididn't think the thing would run without a resister???? Dealer said replacement may be void!! Help!

DmaxMaverick
08-19-2004, 12:20
Who was the last one messing with the pump/fsd? When the resistor is removed, or fries, it can take a while for the PCM to recalibrate and detect the resistor is not functioning, or missing. They can pop out when the connector is pulled off, although rare. The dealer may have lost it (or ditched it), or someone that worked on it before did.

When did the code appear? It would have been a short while before you got the code that the resistor went south, or was removed. If the resistor is not detected, it WILL set the code eventually.

If no one has messed with the harness for some time before the dealer unplugged it, I'd call foul. They've already proven their ignorance on your first visit.

sturgeon-phish
08-19-2004, 12:29
Code set about 500 miles before I took it in. I've had the truck for 2 1/2 years and 16000 miles and no one has touched the FSD or IP in that time. I've done all the servicing (filters oil changes etc.). I'm pretty sure that it is the original FSD & IP because when I carfaxed the truck nothing came up of them being replaced under warranty. FSD had a green tag.

sturgeon-phish
08-19-2004, 12:44
Is it conceivable that if the resister fried, that it would destroy it's original shape and appearance and the dealer is looking for an intact resister?

DmaxMaverick
08-19-2004, 13:06
That's possible, but there would still be and extra piece in there.

Under the conditions you describe (long term owner and no FSD service), the resistor was there before the dealer touched it. I would stand on those facts. If the resistor was missing all the time you've had it, the code would have materialized long before now.

The engine will run fine w/o the resistor. It will throw a code and maybe cause a little smoke at the extreme. The resistor is there to compensate for slight variances within the pump (compared to the baseline standard). They are matched to the pump at the time they are manufactured or overhauled. Maximum fuel delivery can be increased by changing the resistor, without getting a code. Some people have even removed the resistor and replaced it with a potentiometer, allowing the calibration to be set to max fuel delivery, just short of setting a code. I haven't done this, so I can't speak from personal experience.

Once again, I'd call foul on the dealer.

ttpost
08-20-2004, 07:38
where is the resistor located i have looked and cant find where it goes, how big is it? thanks

sturgeon-phish
08-20-2004, 08:32
Went and talked with dealer. They are relpacing thee IP & PMD under warranty smile.gif After talking with the head mechanic they agree that a pump mounted PMD is a bad idea. They realce the IP and will mount the PMD on a remote cooler for me. :D :D
Praise God for small miracles
Thanks for the help.
Jim

sturgeon-phish
08-20-2004, 08:33
Sorry for the bad spelling in the previous post. I'm still in shock

DmaxMaverick
08-20-2004, 09:38
WOW!

Your dealer went from total CS to actually getting their feet on the ground, and head out of the clouds (or somewhere). Very unusual. Not many dealers will vary from policy, especially regarding campaign issues.

Just curious. What was their last explaination for the resistor?

Good job!

TTPost
The resistor is located inside the FSD connector. It slips over the pins, and is shaped like the connector plug with holes in it that the pins go through. It's flat with the resistor between two of the pins. I think there's a pic of one on JK's site.

sturgeon-phish
08-20-2004, 10:07
No explaination about the resister. I figured leave well enough alone. I can't help but think that speaking with the dealer and appearing to know what I was talking about helped with the cooperation aspect. I just ordered a Bill Heath cooler and extension harness to be delivered to the dealer :eek: for installation. The Diesel Page and the folks providing insite and guidence are fantastic. Thanks to all. I'll let you know how everything turns out.
Thanks again
Jim

sturgeon-phish
09-03-2004, 12:52
Just picked up the truck and the dealer replaced the IP AND mounted the the FSD on the Heath Diesel remote mount that I had delivered to the dealer smile.gif smile.gif . Truck seems to runs great, but does give some black smoke under hard acceleration, where it did not smoke before.
The Heath Remount mount looks great and after driving several miles the plate and FSD were only slightly above ambient temp. The extension harness is plenty long to tie back out of harm's way. I am very pleased. Who knows, I may go back to this dealer to buy a DMAX when my rich uncle dies ;)

rjwest
09-03-2004, 13:23
Great!!!!! To bad they had to give you angst
in the beginning....

I had same problem with " Stealers "

But GM did re-imburse me ( real money ) for non gm replacement.

SO: Jurry is still out on buying another GM product.

ucdavis
09-03-2004, 15:44
ttpost- Resistor is on a small piece of circuit board that slips over the six pins inside the plug receptacle on the FSD (ass'bly is maybe .25x1.0). Two of the pin holes are ringed w/metal & the resistor is soldered between these 2 rings & therefore acts as a sort of resistive shunt between the pins. It can't be seen w/out looking directly into the oval barrel of the FSD receptacle. There's a picture of it @ bottom of the FSD Cooler article on the Priducts Review page here on TDP.

Jim- your dealer friend probably didn't see the resistor the first time or know where to look. Once he had educated himself a bit, he probably found it.

[ 09-03-2004, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: ucdavis ]

ttpost
09-04-2004, 07:26
Thanks guys, i relocated my fsd and didnt realize there is a resistor in there. as i understand it it on the old fsd? if so i need to get it off and move it. what is the best way to do it thanks again

dieselrealtor
09-06-2004, 13:52
Lots of good advise about the mechanicals has preceded this.
As a former service advisor & service manager at a rice burner dealership for many years, what I recommend anytime someone is having problems with a dealer honoring the warranty procedures is to first talk to the service manager, if that does not go anywhere,

Then ask him for the CONSUMER RELATIONS 800 #, if that does not rattle the chain to get cooperation, then call the consumer relations number. This opens an "open file" on the dealer in question that has to be resolved, the factory rep may get involved at that time.

Good luck. :D

MikeC
09-06-2004, 15:59
Jim,

What dealer were you using?

Mike

sturgeon-phish
09-09-2004, 19:10
Glockner's in Portsmouth