PDA

View Full Version : No Power to Trailer Brakes

dbchristensen
02-23-2008, 10:34
Last trip out... no problems. This trip, I've got no power on the electric brake pole of the trailer harness. Seems odd to lose only this connection. Is it fused somewhere?

Any thoughts?

Dean

d.h.
02-23-2008, 23:23
Just went through this with one of my trucks.Not sure what truck you have, but there,s a large fuse inside engine compartment by master cyl I believe marked fuse relays.The fuses almost need to be pulled to check if there blown.This was on my sig truck.If they just stopped all of a sudden it,s possible a ground wire off axle bacame disloged.Hope this helps as there can be many possabillties.

dbchristensen
02-24-2008, 22:41
Got it.

Well, I still don't know why... by I unplugged the Brake controller from the fuse panel under the dash. This musta reset it, cuz it works fine now.

Dean

jsmiracle
06-24-2008, 10:09
... there,s a large fuse inside engine compartment by master cyl I believe marked fuse relays.The fuses almost need to be pulled to check if there blown.This was on my sig truck.If they just stopped all of a sudden it,s possible a ground wire off axle bacame disloged...

I have ths same problem. It apears that I have no power to the brake controller. Normally, when the TT is not connected, the Tekonsha brake controller shows two red dots lit. NO dots or anything illuminates on the controller when the TT is or is not connected.. It appears to have lost all power.

I checked many of the fuses under the hood and under the steering wheel...no luck. From my owner's manual, it appears that a large, square-top fuse in "Stud 2" (under the hood) may be the culprit, but it appeared to be OK looking through the top window of the fuse.

FWIW, this happened completely and abruptly. I have checked both pigtail connections. I do not know of a ground to its integrity.

d.h., is the above fuse the fuse you're referring to?

Anyone else have any troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks,
Jim M.

DmaxMaverick
06-24-2008, 11:06
You should also have an inline fuse between the controller and interface (where it connects to the truck wiring). They are normally supplied with the controllers, and should be there unless omitted during the install.

tpitt
06-24-2008, 15:00
I had some kind of wierd problem with mine once, and it was the cmsl fuse. (center mounted stoplight) You might check that. It is inside the in cab fuse box.

d.h.
06-25-2008, 21:45
Jim Yes this is the fuse I was refering to.I had to pull out as when installed it looked like it was good.My controller is the same in that I have a green light that comes on when plugged in.
Hope that helps
Dave

jsmiracle
07-10-2008, 19:18
After some troubleshooting, it appeared to be the controller itself. I ordered a new one and it appears to be fixed....thanks all.

Jim M.