PDA

View Full Version : FOUND: Source of water leak in my Burb now what?

JFerg65
02-24-2008, 05:20
Well after tearing out the rear carpet in my 96 2500 Suburban, like so many on here have had to do, I finally stumbled upon the source of my water leak.

It wasn't a blocked condensation drain, or from a bad seal on the barn doors. The only reason I found this was because I still have the entire rear interior out including the all the plastic panels from the second row seats back. We were having a good thaw yesterday and as I was trying to replace a map light with a new LED, and I kept hearing a loud drip.. drip. I crawled to the back and once again the rear of my truck was filled with water. So I start bang clangin around over stuff to locate it. Finally I see the water. It was dripping at a good rate from the bottom edge of the passenger side, long fixed window in the back. As I looked further it it appears to be getting in from the top about 4 - 6 inches from the back edge of the window, running down the along the seal and finding it's way in then running down the inside until it hits a high spot of sealer then spills over and finds it's way down the blower motor unit wires and drips off behind behind onto the floor.

Now with all that being said, it appears the only real fix for this is to have a glass guy pull and re-set that window. I thought about trying to shoot some black RTV up along the top seam from the inside but thought that would just result in eventual corrosion between the glass and the body.

Does anybody have any thoughts and or suggestions?

I am also wondering if everybody else who has had similar problems and blamed it on the condensate tube really was having this issue all along. The wet carpet under and around the blower unit certainly would present itself as a blocked tube instead of a leaking window. The only way I found it was because the Burb was quite, sitting still with snow melting on it. You would never hear or see this if all the panels were on and you were running down the road in a rainstorm.

Hope this may help someone else out there.

JTodd
02-24-2008, 06:02
Interesting. After a rain, the package tray on the passenger side will have a pool of water in it, soaking the tie downs I store there. My guess is that it is coming from the same place as yours. I have never seen water on the inside of the window, but it may be running down the side. If that is the case, then it might be best to remove the window to treat whatever rust has developed and reseal the window. Any chance this is a DYI job?

JFerg65
02-24-2008, 06:25
I'm guessing no. Just because of the tools / tricks required to pull the window and then re-seat it properly. I've watched those glass guys replace windshields and they have a truck load of specialty tools.

I'm hoping to hear from some others to get their input as well. I'm now beginning to wonder if there was ever a recall for this problem?

It could be something as simple as a high tack weld that didn't get ground down enough.

At any rate, once it warms up I am still planning on putting down herculiner on the floor in the back of the truck from the rear of the second seat to the back.

I'm certainly not going to put that jute backed carpet back down.

Robyn
02-24-2008, 09:34
I am assuming its the bonded glass type setup 92 and later

Have a glass guy do the trick for you. They are quick and effecient at what they do.

I have used some of the urethane window bonding material and sealed around the edge of these but its not as good as having the bonding redone properly. The big trick is getting the window out without breaking it. Tools Tools Tools gotta have the tools then it's easy.

Best

Robyn

JFerg65
02-24-2008, 12:38
Thanks Robyn,

That is the way I'm leaning at this point. That is a big old piece of glass and I'm not messin with it!!

I never would have found that leak if I hadn't of been crawlin around trying to replace the map light.