PDA

View Full Version : Any tricks to installing 6.2 starter!!!???

Thor
02-25-2008, 15:00
Getting ready to reinstall my starter on a 89 K2500 pickup with 6.2 . It took me over a hour to get the bracket bolt off from the block. and it was not much easier trying to get the two wire off the starter. Any tricks on remounting the starter?, as far as what to mount first? Thanks

FEF
02-25-2008, 15:50
This will be hard to describe, but I use a strap to hold the starter up during the R&R process.

I was able to suspend the starter from the exhaust manifold. If you do it right, a loop can be made that can lift and lower the starter like a hoist. Rope would be too thick to fit between the manifold and the block.

1984potato
02-26-2008, 09:03
If it's not simple I don't understand it nor can I explain it.

I switched out my starter on a 2wd so your install may be a little different. You have the front leaf springs to rest the starter on which seems like a bonus, I had nothing but a wooden box.

I disconnected the negative terminals on both batteries, found a wooden box that barely cleared the bottom of the truck, put the starter bracket on the engine block (hand tight on the bolt), placed the starter on the wooden box (4wd should be leaf springs), attached the wires, pushed the starter up to the starter bracket, put the nut on hand tight to secure the starter to the bracket, pivoted the starter up and put in the other two bolts on the block. The trick I have yet to figure out is how to tighten the bolts down without sacrificing skin or blood to the engine block. In addition, check the bolts at each oil change to make sure they haven't worked their way loose.

Hope this helps,

Haus.