PDA

View Full Version : '82 6.2L Questions

FEF
02-25-2008, 16:32
Recently, I picked up a '82 "camper special". I can't tell what color the block is, but the valve covers are red.

I've been searching the forums, and I've found interesting information. But now I've got more questions.

The block is supposed to be desirable, that is if it's an '82. But the heads are not so good. I can't seem to find out why, other then the injectors.

Questions:
- If I find it is an '82 block, are the heads an issue?
- If it's only about the injectors, can the holes be machined to accept the newer styles.
- Should I consider swapping heads with the '88 Burb? That's a lot of work, but I'll do it, if it's "the right thing to do".
- It has no blow-by when cold, but still appears to have too much soot at the cold start. IP issue, perhaps?
- There's an odd sound heard when you take off the oil filler cap. It sounds kinda like it could be the PCV valve equilivent. Now that I think about it, maybe a loose timing chain? I don't think it's the chain, though. I've heard timing chains (on gassers) before.

I'm using this block as the foundation for my new motorhome engine. I'd like it built as strong and reliable as possible.

More Power
02-29-2008, 14:52
Recently, I picked up a '82 "camper special". I can't tell what color the block is, but the valve covers are red.

I've been searching the forums, and I've found interesting information. But now I've got more questions.

The block is supposed to be desirable, that is if it's an '82. But the heads are not so good. I can't seem to find out why, other then the injectors.

Questions:
- If I find it is an '82 block, are the heads an issue?
- If it's only about the injectors, can the holes be machined to accept the newer styles.
- Should I consider swapping heads with the '88 Burb? That's a lot of work, but I'll do it, if it's "the right thing to do".
- It has no blow-by when cold, but still appears to have too much soot at the cold start. IP issue, perhaps?
- There's an odd sound heard when you take off the oil filler cap. It sounds kinda like it could be the PCV valve equilivent. Now that I think about it, maybe a loose timing chain? I don't think it's the chain, though. I've heard timing chains (on gassers) before.

I'm using this block as the foundation for my new motorhome engine. I'd like it built as strong and reliable as possible.

Like you mentioned, the early heads used the coarse thread injectors, which aren't as common. This alone wouldn't be a good enough reason to not use them. GM experimented with larger valve diameters in the early 80's (mostly in 1983-84 fine thread injector heads) in an attempt to improve power. This wasn't a good idea because it thinned the narrow bridge area between the valves, making an area prone to cracking even more prone to cracking. So, unless these are the large valve heads, they would be fine. :)

Jim

FEF
03-01-2008, 08:43
Like you mentioned, the early heads used the coarse thread injectors, which aren't as common. This alone wouldn't be a good enough reason to not use them. GM experimented with larger valve diameters in the early 80's (mostly in 1983-84 fine thread injector heads) in an attempt to improve power. This wasn't a good idea because it thinned the narrow bridge area between the valves, making an area prone to cracking even more prone to cracking. So, unless these are the large valve heads, they would be fine. :)

Jim
Thanks for the advice. The idea of buying heads didn't excite me too much. However, I'm told I should get plugs for the cooling port and a head gasket for an '83+ 6.2.

What is the diameter of the larger valves? Is there a way to know if I have big valves without having seen it before?

Every now and again, I see a Banks turbo kit. I'm thinking just a normal rebuild, and the turbo will last me quite a few miles. It's really good to know (assuming the core is good) I don't have to go shopping for more (different) parts.