PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Project

gophergunner
02-28-2008, 09:40
As the title says, i'm planning a bit of a lengthy project here. Got a few essentials for it so far but part of the long term idea is that parts aren't always readily available.....of course funding isn't always readily available either.

I've got a Spicer 5831B 3 speed auxiliary transmission (2:1 under, 1:1 direct, and 0.85:1 over drive) as well as a divorced NP205 t-case, which is luckily passenger side drive. I'm looking to put either a 6V-53 or 4-53T into this truck, backed by either an SM465 or NV4500, then auxiliary, then t-case.

I'm planning on using a frame from a 1 ton crew cab gmc or chev truck. Now i have a couple questions about said frames.

1- Can a 2wd frame be easily changed to a 4wd frame or is it a pain in the butt and not worth the hassle? i'm assuming its just removing the IFS components and attaching all the leaf spring mounts for the solid axle......any hints?

2- These 1 tons either had a 14-bolt 10.5" diff or else a Dana 70 HD from what my research tells me. Just curious if one is interchangeable with the other in terms of springs/shocks/brake lines? Or again, is that more hassle than its worth?

any input on these questions or the whole project would be appreciated.....positive or negative, let me here it, cause i'm asking everyone for it:rolleyes:

DA BIG ONE
02-28-2008, 13:30
There is a thread on a 2 wd gmc pickup frame used to build an extended crew cab gmc, w/cummins and 4x4 w/solid dodge front axle using ford hangers.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=23569

gophergunner
02-28-2008, 17:07
thats a pretty sweet truck in that thread......

but i shoulda mentioned, the cab i would be using would me of the 1970's to 1991 body style, and of course a frame from similar if not the same time frame.

gophergunner
03-02-2008, 08:17
hmmmmm, so maybe i can try to stir up some input on this topic again.

a 2wd crew cab dually is easier to find than a 4wd around here, so i'm curious if it would be a pretty simple conversion process to put a solid axle (leaf springs and all the old fashioned stuff) on the front of a 2wd 1 ton from late 70's to 1991 styling? I'm mostly after it for the length and strength of that frame, and those 4x4 crew cab duallies are still worth a bit around here. and thats if you can find one.

Robyn
03-02-2008, 09:56
Anything is possible if you are up to the task and have some fabricating experience.

Tape measure
Note pad and pencil
Torch
Wire welder (stick will do)
Structural steel available to make brakets and such.
A few trips to the bone yard for bits and parts
A great imagination with some vision tossed in.
Bucket of $$$$ for needed supplies

Sounds like fun :D

Keep us posted on your little creature as the phoenix rises.

Best

Robyn

gophergunner
03-02-2008, 21:07
I'm always on the lookout for a 4wd 1 ton dually just to save myself some hassle if possible, but at last resort i will convert a 2wd to 4wd. Already shopping around for any parts i figure i'll need, because it seems that at the very moment that you need them you can't find them, and i don't exactly need them at this moment, so its a good time to go huntin.

of course, as the title says, its a long term thing.....i am also still undecided on a specific detroit engine to use, but i have a few in mind and probably go with whatever i can grab first for a good price.

with so many gear combinations and shifters to use, its gonna be hard for someone to steal a truck like this:rolleyes: