PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder misbalance Codes

JoeX87000031
03-01-2008, 04:26
Can someone explain what the Cylinder misbalance codes mean. I get the general idea, but can there really be a knock sensor for each piston? Or does it do it with one sensor and it just knows when say #5 is supposed to be firing and it sets a code when its early or late. These codes sound really bad to me and when I plug in my coolant temp sensor I get three of them. If someone could explain it I would be very greatful. Also, thank you all for bearing with my sixty questions at a 3rd grade level, if you all had a nickel for every one huh?? Take care all and I hope that one day I can help answer some questions instead of asking so many cause I tell you one thing, I love this truck so much they are gonna have to buy like ten cemetary plots in a row so I can be buried in it! Hoorah GM!!

DmaxMaverick
03-01-2008, 08:53
Crank rotation is monitored. The PCM will detect when one or more cylinder combustion events causes crank acceleration/deceleration outside the normal map, depending on fueling conditions and other parameters. No knock sensors involved. Knock (aka: detonation/preignition) sensors would be kinda' pointless on a Diesel engine.