PDA

View Full Version : Code 18

Rhinoblazer
04-24-2004, 15:37
I'm still troubleshooting my engine (I'd like to just plain shoot it). It's a 94 with hard starting, coolant blowback, coolant/oil out of the tailpipe, overheating etc. From other posts I thought I would have a string of codes but I only have a code 18. What is a "pump cam reference error" and how do I isolate/ fix it? Thanks

gmctd
04-24-2004, 18:22
That's how PCM determines injection advance\retard timing, compared to crank timing.
It's part of the high resolution optical system in the inj pump.

Could be from really grungy fuel with high opacity.
Could be bad connections, engine harness to injection system harness.

But - coolant blowback? And coolant out the tailpipe? The oil is probably just washout from the antifreeze blowing thru the exhaust piping.

Sounds like you've got some really bad head gaskets, or, worse case, cracked heads, where coolant, at 15-18psi, is passing directly into the exhaust system.

Hold that thought - I see you mentioned other posts.......

Ok - I'm back. I must agree with the other postees - you really should take it back. Most states have an enforceable 'lemon' law.

But, if you're keeping the truck, looks like best course of action would be to just bite the bullet, and pull the heads. Exploratory surgery, as it were.
And, if the block and rotating assembly is ok, go with new timing chain, water pump, and re-seal and new gaskets everywhere.

Then, addressing that DTC 18 may be easier.

[ 04-24-2004, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: gmctd ]