PDA

View Full Version : lost fuel pump power on 94

catmandoo
08-18-2004, 15:27
replaced i*** and oil sender,when i went to start it was a usual pain in the butt to get running and when it finally started it instantly died and now nothing.thought it was the new ops so got another and still no go,i have no power to the pump.just where does the power come from,is there a relay that controls it or what!!!!

MEdlin
08-20-2004, 03:57
There is an electric fuel pump relay mounted under the hood on the firewall on the passenger side. Typically behind a plastic cover. The fuel pump gets it's initial power from the ignition switch when starting. When the oil pressure increases, the oil pressure switch keeps the power supplied to the fuel pump while running. The fuel pump relay controls the switch over of the power source. I found this the hard way. By the way, you can get the relay apart and clean the contacts if you're so inclined. smile.gif

catmandoo
08-20-2004, 04:55
well found my problem,turns out it was the pump.just had to wait til i changed the inj's to die,well hopefully thats it for awhile,140.00 for a pump my god i put one on my 92 last year and it was only 90.00.the one thing i do wonder about though is that the orange wire on the ops has power all the time,even with the key out of the switch,is it supposed to be this way.and on a different post was told that the pump should run in the glow cycle,which mine does not,but he has a 97 and i'm wondering if maybe thats the difference,to get mine running i had to jump the ops and let run and crank awhile and let set and crank again 3-4 more times and it finally started,then hooked the ops back up and everythings fine now.