PDA

View Full Version : Positive Battery Cable replaced

bschmitz
03-03-2008, 13:20
I have been fighting the problem with my passenger side battery boiling over after running for a period of time. I thought I had it fixed by cleaning the cable, the positive side on the passenger side battery. The cable got corison very fast with in 3-4 weeks. So finally went to Chevy garage to have them replace my cable, I was going to do it but after looking it over good decided against it. Any ways the truck is in the shop getting the cable replace at this time, the mechanic told me that he has changed this cable at least 3 different times on this type of engine and truck. Does anyone know about some kind of a TSB ever put out about this problem. The cable is not an easy replacement. The cable itself runs over $200 and 4 hours of labor. Total bill will be over $600 for a battery cable. I know I have read in other places where they have had the same problems. Does anyone know of this problem?

NutNbutGMC
03-03-2008, 13:30
I have been fighting the problem with my passenger side battery boiling over after running for a period of time. I thought I had it fixed by cleaning the cable, the positive side on the passenger side battery. The cable got corison very fast with in 3-4 weeks. So finally went to Chevy garage to have them replace my cable, I was going to do it but after looking it over good decided against it. Any ways the truck is in the shop getting the cable replace at this time, the mechanic told me that he has changed this cable at least 3 different times on this type of engine and truck. Does anyone know about some kind of a TSB ever put out about this problem. The cable is not an easy replacement. The cable itself runs over $200 and 4 hours of labor. Total bill will be over $600 for a battery cable. I know I have read in other places where they have had the same problems. Does anyone know of this problem?I'd put new Optima batteries (with a battery tender) in it and be done. I had the same problem on a 2K2 model which was induced by the battery post being broken / corroded inside of the battery case. That and an oil leak sent that machine to the boneyard. However, you have not posted what make / model of truck. Lots of room for suggestions.

bschmitz
03-03-2008, 15:35
The truck I have is 02 D/A. 62,000 miles, Silverado.

NutNbutGMC
03-03-2008, 20:41
The truck I have is 02 D/A. 62,000 miles, Silverado.

Yes Sir, there is a recent thread about this somewhere here. From what I have experienced and read, the OEM supplied battery has issues. Mine did the same thing (2002).