PDA

View Full Version : Bitten Again!

afgunn
03-04-2008, 18:29
I've got the diesel bug again! And that is NOT a bad thing. I am looking for a 92 to 95 Silverado diesel. I am planning to put a Cummins 4BT(A) into it and a little propane for a little extra power and to clean up the combustion. What I am needing is the below information on a 1994, if this information is available somewhere else for the 92/95 diesels, point me in that direction. This would be real good to "sticky" if we have the inof by year model. I think I know the answers to most of these for the 94 but I do not want to be wrong. If I left anything out of importance, please fill in. Thanks.
1) engine: turbo or not
2) type of injection: mechanical/electronic
2) trans
3) smog equipment
4) oil/trans coolers

93GMCSierra
03-04-2008, 20:19
I've got the diesel bug again! And that is NOT a bad thing. I am looking for a 92 to 95 Silverado diesel. I am planning to put a Cummins 4BT(A) into it and a little propane for a little extra power and to clean up the combustion. What I am needing is the below information on a 1994, if this information is available somewhere else for the 92/95 diesels, point me in that direction. This would be real good to "sticky" if we have the inof by year model. I think I know the answers to most of these for the 94 but I do not want to be wrong. If I left anything out of importance, please fill in. Thanks.
2) trans
3) smog equipment
4) oil/trans coolers

all 94's, To my knowledge, have turbo's, and have the electronic injection pump and throttle position sensor instead of a cable, the transmission can be the 4L80e Auto, or a NV4500 5 speed Manual, as to smog I think it depends on the truck, the 1500's should have smog controls such as EGR's and CAT's but the 2500's with 8600 weight rating will most likely not have any EGR and possibly no CAT. The Oil cooler will be out front of the rad and I believe the tranny has one there too.

DA BIG ONE
03-05-2008, 04:42
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

afgunn
03-05-2008, 06:21
Good call sierra. I checked my Diesel Page manuals and you are correct so, I will have to go with a 92 or 93. So, I now have the same questions on a 93. Thanks in advance for all your help. I know about 4btswaps but right now I need to know about which Silverado to buy.

93GMCSierra
03-05-2008, 11:33
2) trans
3) smog equipment
4) oil/trans coolers

My 93 has the GM-3 Turbo I dont know for sure but I think all the 6.5's have turbo's, the 6.2's could be gotten none turbo I think. The injection pumps on the 93 and older are mechanical and have the actual throttle cable. The trans is going to be the same for the 92-93's which is the 4l80e auto or the nv4500 manual, I dont know if the 91 could have the 700r4 but I know it was possible in the earlier ones. My 93 and I believe the earlier ones as well, is the 8600GVW and has no CAT or EGR the 1500's though could. and the oil and trans cooler is going to be the same or similar.

afgunn
03-05-2008, 17:57
Hey, thanks a lot guys! Good info. I guess for a 93 or older this post should have been in the 6.2 forum. My bad!? Great news on the mechanical pump, just what I need! And I have my eye on a 93 K1500! The RPO codes I got from the dealer for the vehicle that I am looking at (VIN build) says the trans is a 4L60E.?

I guess all the 6.5s have the electronic pump? This is the impression I am getting from all info that I have. The 92 and 93s both came with the 6.5 or 6.2?

I want a 92 or 93 because I want an extended cab as well and the info I have says they came out in 92.

My diesel bite is really starting to itch - terrible!!!!!

93GMCSierra
03-05-2008, 20:57
Hey, thanks a lot guys! Good info. I guess for a 93 or older this post should have been in the 6.2 forum. My bad!? Great news on the mechanical pump, just what I need! And I have my eye on a 93 K1500! The RPO codes I got from the dealer for the vehicle that I am looking at (VIN build) says the trans is a 4L60E.?

I guess all the 6.5s have the electronic pump? This is the impression I am getting from all info that I have. The 92 and 93s both came with the 6.5 or 6.2?

I want a 92 or 93 because I want an extended cab as well and the info I have says they came out in 92.

my truck is a 6.5 turbo I think what I should have said is in the 92-93 years you could get a 6.2 or a 6.5 but in 94 they stopped the 6.2. All of the 93 and older were mechanical injection pumps with a actual throttle cable.
the k1500 will be lighter duty thus the 4L60E I did not think of that because the 2500's used stronger trans. If your swapping in a cummins are you replacing the trans too, cuz I think it would be good.

afgunn
03-06-2008, 16:59
Thanks a lot sierra, very helpful. I am not planning on replacing the 4L60-E but I do plan on rebuilding it and upgrading the hard parts if necessary, shift kit and new upgraded torque converter. The 4L60-E is rated at up to 360 lb-ft which should be good. The 4BTA is rated:
130 hp @ 2500
344 lb-ft @ 1500

Does any one know what the hp and torque of the 93 6.2 diesel is? Thanks!

16gaSxS
03-12-2008, 11:34

NOPE electronic pumps started in Model year 1994, so 1992 & 1993 6.5 have a manual pump.:D

opto
03-12-2008, 12:02
Don't know what year the extended cabs came out, but mine is a 1991 with 6.2 and 700R4.
I guess you would be better off with a 700R4/4L60 rather than the 4L60E which is electrically controlled

afgunn
03-15-2008, 10:56
I got the 93 in the sig below on Monday this week. I picked it up in MN and drove back to NC. She runs real well! Got some battle scars (rust) from being in MN for 15 years. And thanks to all for your input! It was all very helpful. So, now I am back in a diesel again!

Thanks for the info 16gaSxS. I got the correct year model truck because I did not want the electonic IP.

Opto, the extended cabs came out in 92. I think I will be OK with the 4L60-E.

I did have one curious thing happen on the drive back with fuel mileage:
MN to IL - 20.3mpg
IL to WV - 21.5mpg
WV to NC - 24.9mpg
Now do not get me wrong, I am very pleased with 24.9mpg but, it seems strange that I get the best mileage on the worst leg of the trip. WV to NC had much more hill climbing than MN to IL and a lot more slower/stop/go driving!? Would air temperature and/or winter fuel mixes explain this? Also, I noticed that the engine temperature never got over app. 150*F (needs new thermostat I think). Would the warmer air from WV to NC be the reason because of the low engine temperature? I must say that I wonder if the cummins 4BTA is going to do a lot better than 25mpg - 30+mpg maybe? But then again, I hope to have this truck for 30 years! I plan on rebuilding the trans as well.

93GMCSierra
03-15-2008, 12:56
I believe the warmer temp and very much the non winter blend fuel played a part, but something I found strange last year my brother and I went to Georgia through NC during july so temp was not a factor. We drove a gasser but he picked up a 99 dodge 1 ton diesel and as we drover farther east we got better mileage in the gasser and after picking up the truck we were getting 26 to 28 mpg out of the diesel unfortunately on the way back we got worse mileage out of both the closer we got to the Dakota's I dont know if the fuel quality is different possibly from different refineries, though I do know the premium gas in this area is 91 most places and possibly 92 a few and over east I saw 93 and might have been 94.

restoguy
03-18-2008, 20:40
Congrats on the buy 'gunn. I just wanted to add one thing. Earlier there was a discussion about when the turbo was avaliable. I have seen '95 model trucks that were NA(non turbo) 6.5L's. They were state highway rigs so I can't say that the NA was avaliable to the public in '95, but I'm betting it was. I'd say that by that time no one but the state highway department was dense enough to buy a non turbo truck. And I'm sure that the only reason they did it was cost. Probably saved $1.32 you know! Not to say that there is anything wrong with a truck that doesn't have a turbo, especially with diesel at $4/gal! Just that in the never ending quest for more power the NA engines are kind of going the other way. I'd like to see a well tuned NA DMax just for fun!

(On the subject of state highway departments and their great decisions....the local guys get an new truck every year to two. Recently I had a chance to ask the 'head cheese' why they always get 2WD diesels when you consider that we do get some nasty winter weather here. He said that Topeka(capitol) says that as a highway department they are on pavement and don't need 4WD! So who is supposed to take care of the 30"+ snow that we got in 24 hrs a couple years ago? Oh yeah, that's right, a couple of their guys almost died in their truck, stuck in the ditch in that storm. No need for 4WD. Besides the fact that the resale is completely in the toilet if it's not 4X4 out here. Sorry for the rant.)