PDA

View Full Version : 8.1L Starting Trouble...

496HD
03-04-2008, 21:02
Ok..So I 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 8.1L with the Allison. It's got a little under 50,000 miles on it and the last month or so it has been acting up. First I had the SES (Service Engine Soon) light come on, so I took it to the dealer and they said I needed to change my Cam Position Sensor..I did that a week or so ago and now ometimes when I shut it off, to get gas (do that quite often!!) When I try to start it up it will just turn over and if I turn the key off and try again 5 or 10 minutes later it fires up just fine?..Any Ideas??..Thanks a lot!

496HD
03-06-2008, 19:44
Just thought that I would let everyone know that I will be getting my pickup back tomorrow. This time the diagnostics or whatever told him that it was my crank position sensor..So $360 later, luckily it is all under warranty, and I will get my truck back tomrrow!..Just a little food for thought..

DmaxMaverick
03-06-2008, 21:32
If the recent trip to the dealer doesn't help, check out your Passlock system. That's usually the answer when there's a delayed start. The relearn process is not so simple, but we have a few folks around here that can help you with that. If not, I think I can find it in the repair manual. IIRC, a scanner isn't required for 2002 models.

Colorado Kid
03-10-2008, 10:45
It still sounds like the cam position sensor to me. When the ECM doesnt' get a signal from the cam sensor it guesses cam position based on the crank sensor. 50% of the time it guesses wrong and fires the plugs 180 cam degrees (360 crank degrees) out of time. The next time you crank it will guess again. If it guesses right it will run perfectly. That's why, after a cam sensor replacement, the tech should have started and shut down the engine several times. I think you have a bad connection to the new cam sensor, or the sensor itself is out of position. There's also a slight possibility that the new cam sensor was DOA.

martiuk
06-16-2008, 07:23
Hello,
My truck does the same thing!!
I have a 2500hd 01' 100k miles.
Where you able to fix it? If so how much did it cost?
Thanks,