PDA

View Full Version : Duramax swap into my 94?

Rob4
03-08-2008, 16:27
My 6.5 block and heads are cracked and I'm more than a little gun shy about sticking in a replacement only to have it happen again. A new redesigned head and block engine will run $7000 plus if I install. My thoughts are to do a Duramax swap. The fabrication of mounts, dash swap,tranny swap,etc. doesn't bother me. My question is how to I go about finding a good donor truck for the swap? What much would a totaled Duramax cost and how does a guy go about finding one? As I see it, I would need the entire truck for all the parts for the swap--not just finding an engine and transmission (I'm assuming the existing 4L80 won't hold up). Is this swap something that a guy could do and come out ahead financially? I intend to keep the truck for many more years.

doodad
03-09-2008, 19:40
New anything costs $$$. It would seem the complexity of the swap and the the higher demand for a dmax that it would be tough to save money that way. If you were looking to save money, get a warrantied scrap yard motor that's a drop in. There is a local GM scrapper around here that will guarantee a motor for like 3 mos/3,000 miles, but for an extra $100 or so will extend it to 12 mos/12,000. I paid $1000 for a 97 5.7L gasser back in 2000, still runs great. I couldn't get the short block done ( bent rod ) for that much. I don't know much about 6.5 to say if your cracked parts are known trouble, but hopefully you would still be money ahead.

That and certainly all the headaches in the swap and never mind getting someone else in a garage to work on it later. I've regretted some of my swaps for that reason.

Good luck.

Rob4
03-09-2008, 20:04
Doodad, My concern with just going with an engine swap is that I have heard that all the other stff surrounding the engine will nickel and dime you to death. As I understand the Duramax transmission must go with the engine not to mention engine and transmission computer and various brackets for the A/C, power steering, dash cluster,air box, etc. That is why I was thinking a donor. I'm not sure how to go about finding a donor. Any ideas? Any help would sure be appreciated.

93GMCSierra
03-09-2008, 21:57
Most wrecking yards around here have national parts locater services as well some times if you ask about whole vehicles you can get them, the other way I would suggest is call your insurance company they sell totaled trucks at auctions you might be able to get to one.

More Power
03-10-2008, 14:28
Make friends with someone licensed to bid at insurance auctions. New truck rollovers go for in the $7-12K range, depending on the damage.

Failing that, find a salvage center that puts together conversion "packages". Start with www.SchramAuto.com (http://www.SchramAuto.com)

Jim