PDA

View Full Version : front wheel bearings help

Dennis22
08-19-2004, 05:27
I have to replace the right front wheel bearings, a mechanic told me that you have to change the whole hub assembly including the rotor? $600 just for the part. When I talk to GM they say that you do not have to change the rotor, it has bolts that slide through the rotor. The cost for the hub assembly is $300. The mechanic says the bolts are usually seized onto the rotor? Is this a job I can do, I have good mechanic skills with normal tools. Will I need any special tools? any tricks of the trade? 96 2500 4x4 Burb, 8 lug wheels.
Thanks for your help!
Dennis22

Dvldog 8793
08-19-2004, 05:41
Howdy
When I replaced the rotors in my '99 I replaced all the hub/lug bolts as well. If your truck is like mine then the hub/rotor/bearing assembly is held in place by 4(???) bolts from the back side. The lug bolts are pressed into the hub and the rotor is pressed onto the bolts. All my bolts came loose with a BFH :D and a old lug nut. Most of them only required 2 hits. I made a fixture out of wood blocks to keep the hub from getting hurt. I put the new lug bolts in by useing another old lugnut with a gr8 washer and my impact wrench. Everything went VERY smoothly. I had heard all the stories that you are hearing and it was much easier than you would think. The only special tool that I needed was the large socket to remove the hub-nut. 36mm I think!?! :confused: The only thing that I can of to watch for is your ABS wire! Also make sure and check the run-out w/ dial indicator of your new assmebly when you get it put together.
Hope this helps!
L8r
Conley Janssen

whatnot
08-19-2004, 14:40
Don't put a nut on the lugs when you pound them out. I tried that and it just ruins both the nut and the lug.
I use a punch now instead. 1 or 2 hit is usually al it takes but some might take a little more.

Dvldog 8793
08-19-2004, 15:42
100% correct on the nut and lug issue! I did it because I replaced the lugs and nuts. If you decide to replace the lugs try to find someplace other than GM to get them from as they are EXPENSIVE! :eek:
L8r
Conley